wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

FIPB: Tikona, Netmagic & Telcordia approved; Indius Broadband deferred

The Indian government has approved 22 proposals of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) valued approximately at Rs 3,951.61 crore, based on the recommendation of the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) earlier this month.

Among the Internet, Mobile and Media companies which has received approvals from the FIPB include:

Tikona Digital Networks: To increase the foreign equity stake to 73.76% from 72.58% by issuing compulsorily convertible debentures (CCDs) and/or equity shares to International Finance Corporation and other existing foreign investors. The company has received an approval for an investment of up to Rs 250 crore. 

Note that Tikona had also received an approval to raise Rs 248 crore through Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and increase the foreign equity stake in the company up to 72.58% in January this year. Tikona currently has investors like Goldman Sachs, Oak Investment Partners and Everstone Capital Advisors.

–  Netmagic Solutions Private Ltd: To hike NTT’s stake in the company to 81.6345% from the existing 74% through an investment of Rs 575 crore. NTT had earlier raised its stake in Netmagic to 74%, following the FIPB approval to invest Rs 182.8 crore for this purpose in July 2012.

Telcordia Technologies Inc: To increase its stake in its joint venture MNP Interconnection Telecom Solution India (MITS India) to 100% from the existing 74%. The company has received an approval for an investment of Rs 7.25 crore for this purpose. Telcordia had picked up 74% stake in MITS in 2009 and was itself acquired by Ericsson in 2011 for $1.15 billion.

MNP Interconnection Telecom Solutions India currently has a five-year mandate to manage India’s Mobile Number Portability solutions in South and East of India.

– Telenor Mobile Communications AS, Norway: To increase its stake in Uninor to 100% from the existing 74% stake. More on this here.

Appdynamics Asia Pacific Pte Limited: To provide software development services & information technology enabled services to its group companies across the world. It has received an approval for an investment of Rs 0.7 crore for this. 

Note that Appdynamics recently launched operations in India. It currently has staff in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Pune to support its business initiatives in the country and plans to open sales offices in Bangalore and Delhi, along with a research & development centre in Delhi.

Among the Internet, Mobile and Media companies that were deferred by the government include:

Verizon Communications India: Verizon’s proposal to increase its stake in Verizon Communications India to 100% from its existing 74% has been deferred. Verizon Communications India was formed as a joint venture with Videocon Group’s Leo Communications back in 2007, with Leo Communications owning the remaining 26% stake.

Indius Broadband LLC: A proposal by Pureplay Investment Partners, Mauritius to increase its stake in Indiverse Broadband to 74%. Indiverse Broadband is currently engaged in the cable television networks business and undertaking upgradation of networks towards digitization and addressability. It also proposed an FDI of up to 49% in two joint venture companies JVC-1 and JVC-2, both of which will act as investing company.

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.



By Rahul Rai and Shruti Aji Murali A little less than a year since their release, the Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020 is being amended....


By Anand Venkatanarayanan                         There has been enough commentary about the Indian IT...


By Rahul Rai and Shruti Aji Murali The Indian antitrust regulator, the Competition Commission of India (CCI) has a little more than a decade...


By Stella Joseph, Prakhil Mishra, and Surabhi Prabhudesai The recent difference of opinions between the Government and Twitter brings to fore the increasing scrutiny...


This article is being posted here courtesy of The Wire, where it was originally published on June 17.  By Saksham Singh The St Petersburg paradox,...

You May Also Like


A majority of networks connected to DE-CIX is made up of small ISPs as such internet exchanges allow them to save costs.  The Internet...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ