wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

35% transactions on redBus are on mobile; 57% transactions from South states


35% of transactions on the Ibibo-owned online bus ticketing site redBus.in is coming from mobile devices, the company has informed Medianama.

redBus mentions that mobile apps have been one of the key growth areas for them and the contribution of mobile devices to its total transactions has apparently tripled over the last year. redBus currently offers native apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone besides a mobile optimized site.

Last week, the company had claimed to have sold a cumulative 3 crore tickets through its platform. redBus told Medianama that 85% of these tickets were booked on its platform (redBus.in) while the remaining 15% tickets were booked on its partner websites.

Time of booking

redBus mentioned that 74.8% of all tickets were booked between 10 am and 9 pm, indicating that most people book tickets during work hours. Around 14.3% tickets were booked between 9 pm and 12 am and the remaining 10.9% tickets were booked in the remaining time slot (12am-10am).

The company witnessed the highest bookings during the 12pm-1pm slot, which accounted for 7.5% of the total bookings. This was followed by the 11am-12pm slot which saw 7.4% of the total bookings. It witnessed an average 6%-7% ticket bookings from 10am to 9pm.

Southern states account for 57% of ticket bookings

Southern states like Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Pondicherry and Tamil Nadu together account for 57% of all transactions on redBus.in.

Western states like Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Rajasthan account for 25% transactions while Northern states like Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand account for 15% transactions. Eastern states including Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Meghalaya, Orissa, Sikkim and West Bengal account for the remaining 3% transactions.


The 3 crore mark

As mentioned earlier, redBus claimed to have sold a cumulative 3 crore tickets through its platform last week. redBus claims that the last crore tickets came in just nine months, as compared to 16 months it took to reach 2 crore tickets and 70 months it took to reach the first crore tickets. The company claims to register over 1.6 million ticket transactions per month at present.

Earlier in March, IbiboGroup had acquired the bus tracking company YourBus that provides in-bus GPS tracking solutions, to integrate it into redBus. redBus mentions that this integration has enabled them to deploy the bus tracking app across more than 300 buses, allowing customers to track their buses in real-time. It’s worth noting that  redBus had already integrated this service a year back, but it was not exclusive to redBus back then and was used by Paytm as well.

Last month, Naspers had informed that it had acquired 100% stake in the online bus ticketing major for 1 billion rand (around $101 million at the time). Strangely, Naspers had earlier mentioned that it had acquired 80% stake in redBus for the same amount. In the same month, redBus founders Phanindra Sama and Charan Kumar Raju had exited after an year at Ibibo group.  Following this, Ibibo group had appointed Prakash Sangam as the CEO of redBus.

You May Also Like


The Delhi High Court on Monday refused to stop Amazon from pushing regulators to stop the sale of the Future Group’s businesses to Reliance...


Pine Labs has raised around $100 million in fresh funds from Lone Pine Capital, a hedge fund based in the United States, at a...


Restaurant aggregator and food delivery company Zomato has raised US$660 million (over ₹4,850 crore), taking its valuation to ₹3.9 billion. CEO Deepinder Goyal tweeted...


Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari said on December 17 that GPS-based tolling will replace toll plazas in two years, The Hindu...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2018 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to Daily Newsletter

    © 2008-2018 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ