Norwegian telecom operator Telenor has sought for an approval from the Foreign Investment Promotion Board of India (FIPB) to increase its stake in Uninor to 100% from the existing 74% stake. The telco plans to invest Rs 780 crore to acquire the remaining 26% stake owned by its Indian partner Lakshdeep Investments & Finance Pvt. Ltd in the joint venture Telewings which provides telecom services in the country under the Uninor brand. This was quite an expected move considering that Telenor Group’s Asia head Sigve Brekke had earlier stated plans of increasing its Uninor stake to 100%, now that India allows 100% FDI in telecom. The telco had raised its stake in Telewings to 74% in December last year, after receiving the FIPB approval to increase its stake and invest up to Rs 1,000 crore in the JV in June 2013. Telenor had earlier partnered Lakshdeep Investments & Finance to create a new joint venture Telewings Communications in October 2012, after a bitter battle with previous Indian partner Unitech (A Telenor vs Unitech timeline here). The company had closed down operations in seven of thirteen operational telecom circles in 2012 and in Q1 2013, including the sudden shutdown of operations in the Mumbai circle. After quite a roller coaster 2012, Telenor Group mentioned that Uninor had reached cash flow break even at the end of 2013, on track with the telco’s plans. In the February 2014 auctions, Uninor acquired spectrum in a new circle of Assam and additional spectrum in four of its six existing circles in the 1800 MHz band - UP East, UP West, Bihar & Jharkhand and Andhra Pradesh. Earlier this year, it also stated plans of investing Rs 500 crores to…
- IT Ministry Blocks 100+ Websites Linked to Investment and Employment Scams December 7, 2023
- DoT detects 67 lakh suspected connections, disconnects around 55 lakh: All you need to know December 7, 2023
- UK’s Communications Regulator Releases Consultation On Age-Gating Childrens’ Access to Online Pornography December 7, 2023
- Indian Govt to come up with Search and Seizure Guidelines by December 14: Supreme Court December 6, 2023
- Uttar Pradesh Government begins process to use Drones to Monitor MNREGS Sites December 6, 2023
MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.
Factors like Indus not charging developers any commission for in-app payments and antitrust orders issued by India's competition regulator against Google could contribute to...
Is open-sourcing of AI, and the use cases that come with it, a good starting point to discuss the responsibility and liability of AI?...
RBI Deputy Governor Rabi Shankar called for self-regulation in the fintech sector, but here's why we disagree with his stance.
Straw man fallacy: IT Ministers’ defence of government exemptions in data protection law misses the point
Both the IT Minister and the IT Minister of State have chosen to avoid the actual concerns raised, and have instead defended against lesser...
The Central Board of Film Certification found power outside the Cinematograph Act and came to be known as the Censor Board. Are OTT self-regulating...
Please subscribe to MediaNama. Don't share prints and PDFs.
You May Also Like
Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...
135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...
Twitter takes down tweets from MP, MLA, editor criticising handling of pandemic upon government request
By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...