Junglee, the price comparison website owned by Amazon has released its online shopping search trends for 2013 with mobile phone being the most searched category followed by apparel and PC & tablets. Delhites searched for products on Junglee the most followed by Mumbai and Bangalore and they searched mainly for home appliances, shoes and apparel respectively.
Here are the highlights from the report:
– Top five cities that searched online the most in 2013: Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai. Traffic from tier-2 cities and mini towns such as Pune, Gurgaon, Noida and Chandigarh increased by over 120% Year-on-Year.
– Consumers in Kolkata searched for entertainment products (books, music, movies, video games) the most, making up 62% of searches in this category.
– Consumers in Hyderabad searched for video games the most.
– In Chennai and Bangalore mobile phone and apparel accounted for more than 60% of the overall searches.
Most popular in each vertical
– Samsung (28.6%) continues to be the most searched mobile phone brand and Lenovo (12.55%) was most popular PCs & Tablets brand.
– The Top 5 most searched PC & Tablets brands were Lenovo (12.55%), Samsung (12.17%), Micromax (10.13%), ASUS (8.86%), HP (5.91%).
– Apparel branded by Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra were searched for more than those pushed by Kareena Kapoor, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma.
– Most searched Books – The Oath of the Vayuputras by Amish Tripathi, Inferno by Dan Brown, The Immortals of Meluha by Amish Tripathi. After the nomination for the Booker Prize was announced, the most searched books were The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri, We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo & A Tale for Time Being by Ruth Ozeki whereas Luminaries by Eleanor Catton was not amongst the most popular. However, after the prize was announced, Luminaries became number one searched book while other books lost ground.
– Most searched Bollywood Movies – Student of the Year, Barfi!, Aashiqui 2
– Most searched Authors – Amish Tripathi, Dan Brown and Chetan Bhagat
– The most searched Beauty Products in 2013 were Lakme (16.91%), L’Oréal (7.07%), Maybelline (5.35%), VLCC (3.64% ), Nirus (3.05%).
– The most searched Home Appliances brands were of Samsung (20.36%), LG (13.12%), Videocon (12.43%), Whirlpool (10.07%), IFB (8.49%).
Changes in consumer behaviour
– There was a shift in consumer preference with respect to pricing. Consumer now prefer costlier models in Mobiles and Tablets. 77% of tablet searched for were in the 10k+ segment in 2013 from about 33% in 2012. Consumers have even shown a similar preference in the mobile accessories for higher priced phones.
– However, in the Watch category, there has been a shift in demand from very expensive watches to moderately expensive ones, with the demand for highly priced watches (less than Rs.2,000) falling by more than 100%. Some of the most popular watch brands in 2013 were Casio, Sony, Fastrack, Titan, Fossil.
– There was a 11X growth in search for Sachin Tendulkar in the run up to his final test and a 15X increase in books related to him during the same period. The most searched books were – Sachin: A Hundred Hundreds Now by V.Krishnaswamy, Rahul Dravid and Achekar Ramakant, Sachin: Genius Unplugged by Suresh Menon, Dinesh Kumble and Muttiah Muralitharan and Sachin: Cricketer of the Century by Vimal Kumar.
– Consumers in India also searched for global products on Junglee.com. Products such as Google Nexus range of phones and tablets as well as the new PlayStation 4 were searched for when these products were launched in the US market.