Airtel has shared findings from its Mobitude survey for 2013, giving some inputs on content consumption patterns among Airtel customers. Noteworthy here are the increase in Mobile TV, the fact that while Android devices are sold most in India, it is the iOS and Windows customers who are driving data traffic, and that the CRBT decline isn’t as bad as we thought it would be. Oh, and there’s no information on Airtel’s app store ‘App Central’, and MMS usage (lol) this time around. From Airtel Mobitude:
Data traffic surges higher
– Driven by double fold increase in smart phone users and a 124% jump in data users, data consumption jumped 220%
– 87% of the data traffic was contributed by 3G enabled devices
– 5.5″ plus screen jumped 123% in the last two quarters alone while that of up to 3.5″ jumped less than 30%
– Google continues to be the most visited site in terms of unique users followed by YouTube and Facebook
– Android devices are sold most, it is the iOS and Windows customers who are driving data traffic.
– Mobile TV: up 400% over 2012. Last year, the growth was 65% over 2011, so even on a higher base than the previous year, the growth is substantive. This is possibly due to the growth in Airtel’s 3G subscriber base, even as we’re quite surprised that people are subscribing, versus choosing the mobile web. Data connections are patchy at best anyway. Last year, the top five mobile TV channels were: Sony, Aaj Tak, Zoom, UTV Movies, and Star Plus, but Airtel hasn’t shared any data this time.
– Entertainment channels witnessed viewership of 800% over sports, and about 200% over news.
– Dabangg2 topped charts as the most viewed movie on Airtel Video Talkies.
– CRBT / Hello Tunes: 120 million “downloads”. CRBT consumtion, technically, isn’t a ‘download’. Last year, Airtel reported 150 million ‘mobile music downloads’, which might have referred to CRBT.
– Airtel Radio and Karaoke were the most popular music services. This indicates a comparative decline in the CRBT service, or a growth in Airtel Radio and Karaoke. In any case, a Pre versus Post TRAI VAS guidelines (wherein the TRAI reported an 60% decline in activations) would have been interesting. Next year, expect a decline.
– Love songs topped item numbers
– Tum Hi Ho from Aashiqui 2 and Saans from Jab Tak Hain Jaan top Bollywood Hello Tune downloads
– This is unexpected: Lenny Kravitz’s 1995 hit ‘Can’t get you off my mind’ tops in the English song category. Can anyone guess why? Priyanka Chopra’s song ‘Exotic’ was among the Top 5 downloads in the English song category.
– On the Re 1 store: Racing and action trended most in the gaming segment on the store; high energy games- The Dark Knights Rises, BMW Racing and Asaphalt4 ruled space
– Racing spirit ruled the gaming segment inspired by the F1 cult with Asaphalt6 topping the chart & Motocross featuring among Top 5 downloads
– Mythology inspired kids gaming trended with about 130% more downloads than cricket. Re 1 store also witnessed a similar trend
Re 1 entertainment store
– Was a hit among rural India with music, image and gaming trending most on the store, although Airtel has shared no numbers to substantiate this claim.
– Religious content also trended among image downloads along with celebrities like Brinda Parikh, Sherlyn Chopra and Sunny Leone.
– Phir Mohabbat Karne Chala from Murder2 topped music downloads
– Titillation works: Sunny Leone is the most downloaded actor, both in female and combined category with a whopping 300% more downloads than even Shah Rukh Khan
– Sherlyn Chopra, Poonam Pandey, Megan Fox, Brea Lynn replaced Deepika Padukone, Kareena Kapoor and Angelina Jolie. Ranbir Kapoor and Ranveer Singh replaced Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan, who lost out for the first time in 5 years.
– Ranbir Kapoor tops charts in the male category in the imagery download, Katrina Kaif who topped charts for 4 consecutive years is out of the Top 5 league. On the other hand, Aamir Khan continued to be out of top 5 for the fourth consecutive year.
– Sachin Tendulkar ruled charts with a whopping 124% jump in download compared to last year followed by Roger Federer.
– Dhoni & Yuvraj were replaced in the Top 5 league by with Serena Williams, Sania Mirza and Saina Nehwal.
Airtel Talkies (Audio)
– Bol Bacchan led on Airtel Audio Talkies. Bollywood epic hit Sholay and Amar Akhbar Anthony still continue to be favorites among customers
No longer on the charts:
– Last year, Airtel had pointed out that MMS had crossed 1 million mark on Diwali. No such data this time, with MMS probably replaced by Whatsapp and Facebook.
– Last year, Mobile internet had seen maximum data consumption between 10PM and 11PM, with video consumption at its highest during night hours. No such information this time. Perhaps usage patterns have evolved with growth in data consumption.
– What happened to Airtel’s app store “Airtel App Central”? Last year, the company claimed that it had recorded 3 million downloads every month. No such info this time.
– No data for wallpaper downloads.
P.s.: Someone please inform Lenny Kravitz that his 1995 song is extremely popular in India. Also, Gerald Butler, that Indians love the way he looks.