Facebook has reported 351 million monthly active users (MAUs) in Asia for the quarter ended September 30, 2013 (Q3 2013), up from 339 million MAUs sequentially and up from 277 million MAUs in the same quarter last year.
The average Daily Active Users (DAUs) in Asia was at 189 million for the quarter, up from 181 million DAUs sequentially and 141 million DAUs in the same quarter last year.
Globally, Facebook has 1.19 billion MAUs, up from 1.15 billion MAUs sequentially and 1.01 billion MAUs in the same quarter last year. The average DAUs was at 728 million for the quarter, up from 699 million DAUs in the previous quarter and 584 million DAUs in the same quarter last year.
Mobile MAUs: The mobile MAUs were at 874 million MAUs for the quarter, up from 819 million MAUs in the previous quarter and 604 million MAUs in the same quarter last year while the mobile DAUs was at an average 507 million for the quarter, up from 329 million in Q3 2012.
Around 254 million MAUs accessed Facebook solely through mobile apps or their mobile website for the quarter, up from 126 million MAUs in Q3 2012. The remaining 620 million MAUs accessed Facebook from both personal computers and mobile devices, up from 478 million MAUs in Q3 2012. The company has not provided any region-wise breakdown for its mobile or mobile-only MAUs and DAUs.
ARPU: The Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) for Asia improved to $0.81 for the quarter, up from $0.58 in Q3 2012 and $0.75 in the previous quarter. Overall, the ARPU increased to $1.72 for the quarter, up from $1.29 in Q3 2012 and $1.60 in the previous quarter.
– Facebook extended Graph Search to include posts, status updates, photo captions, check-ins and comments.
– Facebook partnered STAR India, Discovery and several other broadcasters to provide them with more user data, including user comments.
– Started testing a new video watching experience on Facebook mobile apps, through the videos auto plays silently in the news feed and one can tap on the video to pay with sound.
– Launched Keyword Insights API and Public Feed API for media publishers in a limited rollout. Initial partners include Buzzfeed, CNN, NBC’s Today Show, BSkyB (British Sky Broadcasting Group), Slate and Mass Relevance.
– Released its first global government requests report, however the company didn’t provide any India-specific numbers in the report.
– Facebook’s Java based mobile app ‘Facebook for Every Phone’ claimed to have crossed 100 million monthly active users.
– Released an updated version of its iOS app to bring in a revamped interface and iOS 7 support.
Facebook reported total revenue of $2.02 billion for the quarter, up 60% from $1.26 billion in Q3 2012. The company posted a net profit of $425 million for the quarter, an improvement from $59 million loss in Q3 2012.
Facebook generated $278 million revenues from Asia during the quarter, up from $154 million revenues in Q3 2012. Asia accounted for 13.8% of Facebook’s total revenues for the quarter. Facebook still generates the highest revenue from United States and Canada region, which generated $962 million revenues for the quarter, up from $637 million in Q3 2012.
Advertising: Facebook reported advertising revenues of $1.8 billion for the quarter, up 66% from $798 million revenues in Q3 2012. Advertising revenue accounts for 89% of Facebook revenues. The contribution of Mobile advertising increased significantly to 49% of Facebook’s total advertising revenues for the quarter, up from 14% in the previous quarter.
Asia contributed for $255 million advertising revenue for the quarter while US & Canada continues to generate the highest advertising revenue for Facebook, registering $832 million revenues for the quarter.
Payment Revenues: Facebook generated $218 million revenue from its payments products and other fees for the quarter, up from $176 million in the same quarter last year. Asia contributed for $23 million payment revenues for the quarter, while US & Canada generated the highest payment revenues, registering $130 million revenues for the quarter.