Nokia is the most popular mobile vendor in terms of Internet usage in India, accounting for 45.2% of the total mobile pageviews generated in the country in August 2013, according to a report released by web analytics firm StatCounter.
Sample Size & Methodology: StatCounter mentions that this data is based on the analysis of 1.2 billion monthly pageviews and 0.67 billion mobile monthly pageviews generated by Indian IPs as of June 2013, as indicated by the company’s FAQs.
StatCounter says it analyses the user agent string for each pageview to determine the browser and operating system used and also to establish if the page view came from a mobile device.
Highlights & Observations
– While Nokia’s share has declined to 45.2% of total mobile pageviews in August 2013 from 52.1% of total mobile pageviews in January 2013, it still seems to have a significant lead over its nearest competitor Samsung which accounts for 26.72% of the total mobile pageviews in August 2013, marginally down from 26.87% of total pageviews in January 2013. Both Nokia and Samsung combined still account for around 71.9% of the total mobile pageviews in India.
– Micromax witnessed an increase in Internet usage from April 2013 to August 2013. It accounted for 4.83% of the total mobile pageviews in August 2013, up from 2.96% in April 2013. Its worth noting that Micromax introduced several new smartphones to expand its Canvas series during this period. These include Canvas 4, Canvas 3D, Canvas Doodle A111 and Canvas Music among others.
– Mobile OS market share: Nokia S40 is still the most popular operating system in India, accounting for 32.97% of the total mobile pageviews generated in the country as of August 2013, followed by Android which accounts for 24.4% of the total mobile pageviews and Samsung feature phone operating system which accounts for 14.8% of the total mobile pageviews in the country.
Its worth noting that Android has witnessed a significant growth over the past year, probably driven by the rise in low cost Android smartphones from domestic players like Micromax, Karbonn and Lava among others. It had accounted for only 11.9% of the total pageviews as of September 2012 and 15.7% of the pageviews as of January 2013. Note that this number might be higher than reported since StatCounter doesn’t track other modes of access, of which applications are a key component.
Apple’s iOS operating system accounts for only 1.1% of the total mobile pageviews in India while Microsoft’s Windows Phone accounts for only 0.8% of the total mobile pageviews in August 2013. However, we feel the number might be higher than reported, since StatCounter doesn’t track activity in mobile applications.
– Mobile Browsers: UCWeb’s UC Browser is the most popular mobile browser in India as of August 2013, registering a 30.88% market share, followed by Opera which has a 27.85% market share and Nokia Browser which had 14.41% market share as of August 2013.
What’s particularly noteworthy is UCBrowser witnessed two significant growth phases in the past year – one is during October 2012-December 2012 wherein the marketshare jumped to 26.3% (Dec 2012) from 19.7% (Oct 2012) and another is during March 2013-August 2013 where the marketshare increased to 30.88% (August 2013) from 25.86% (March 2013).
The company however hasn’t disclosed new user base numbers for quite sometime now and the last number is from December 2012, wherein it had claimed to have 40 million users in India.
On the other hand, Opera had stopped divulging India specific user base numbers a while back, but it claims to have 259 million globally as of July 2013, which includes 239 million Opera Mini users and 20 million Opera Mobile and Opera for Android users. The company claims that India is still the largest market for Opera Mini.
– Mobile vs Desktop: The difference between mobile Internet usage and desktop Internet usage seems to have widened over the past few months, with mobile accounting for 61.3% of the pageviews in August 2013, while desktop accounting for the remaining 38.7% of the pageviews.
– 67% of 9.3M Indian Smartphone Shipments In Q2 2013 Are Sub-$200 Phones: IDC
– 9M Smartphone Shipped In India In Q2 2013, 3rd Largest Smartphone Market: Canalys
– Indian Smartphone Shipment At 9.4M During Jan-Apr 2013; Samsung Tops: Report