India’s broadband connection base increased by 0.39% to 15.19 million at the end of June 2013, from 15.13 million reported at the end of May, according to the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI. Its worth noting that India’s target for 2010 was 20 million broadband connections, and at this rate, this target might not be reached even by 2015.
The total number of mobile connections in the country (including multi-SIM and inactive connections) increased to 873.36 million in June 2013, but the active mobile connection base was much less at 731.44 million, which is around 83.75% of the total. Don’t confuse this with mobile users or connections though, since it includes multi-SIM users.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 731.44 million active connection in the month of June.
– Idea has 97.90% of its connections active – the maximum among all the operators.
– Vodafone has the second highest active connection base of 95.45%, followed by Airtel at 94.87%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 181.11 million connections followed by Vodafone at 147.97 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For June 2013:
– Airtel added 1.26 million connections, taking its connection base to 190.91 million.
– Idea added 1.20 million connections, taking its connection base to 124.96 million.
– RCOM added 0.83 million connections, taking its connection base to 125.73 million.
– Aircel added 0.61 million connections, taking its connection base to 60.96 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 88.84% active connections, followed by Assam, Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal. Tamil Nadu has just 72.96% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 75,055,108 connections. Tamil Nadu is second with 72,825,995 connections and Maharashtra is third, with 68,138,959 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 21.86%, followed by Vodafone at 17.75%, Reliance at 14.40%, Idea at 14.31% and BSNL at 11.22%
– May 2013: India Has 15.13M Broadband, 727.92M Active Mobile Connections
– April 2013: India Has 15.09M Broadband Connections; 724.48M Active Mobile Base
– March 2013: India Has 15.05M Broadband Connections; 722.96M Active Mobile Base
– February 2013: India Has 15M Broadband Connections; 712.5M Active Mobile Connections