India’s broadband connection base increased by 0.23% to 15.13 million at the end of May 2013, from 15.09 million reported at the end of April, according to the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI. Its worth noting that India’s target for 2010 was 20 million broadband connections, and at this rate, it might not be reached by 2015.
The total number of mobile connections in the country (including multi-SIM and inactive connections) increased to 870.19 million in May 2013, but the active mobile connection base was much less: 727.92 million mobile connections in India (around 83.65% of total) are active. Don’t confuse this with mobile users or subscribers though, since it includes multi-SIM users.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 727.92 million active connection in the month of May.
– Idea has 98.03% of its connections active – the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 95.16%, followed by Vodafone at 95.13%.
– Only 67.76% of Tata Tele’s mobile connections base, and 65% of Aircel’s connection base are active.
– Only 56.6% of BSNL’s reported mobile connection base is active, while MTNL flounders at 41.26%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 180.47 million connections followed by Vodafone at 147.15 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For May 2013:
– RCOM added 1.20 million connections, taking its connection base to 124.89 million.
– Vodafone added 0.91 million connections, taking its connection base to 154.68 million.
– Idea added 0.86 million connections, taking its connection base to 123.75 million.
– Airtel added 0.85 million connections, taking its connection base to 189.64 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 89.30% active connections, followed by West Bengal,Madhya Pradesh and Bihar. Tamil Nadu has just 74.03% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 75,070,640 connections. Tamil Nadu is second with 72,475,012 connections and Maharashtra is third, with 67,899,787 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 21.79%, followed by Vodafone at 17.78%, Reliance at 14.35%, Idea at 14.22% and BSNL at 11.27%
– April 2013: India Has 15.09M Broadband Connections; 724.48M Active Mobile Base
– March 2013: India Has 15.05M Broadband Connections; 722.96M Active Mobile Base
– February 2013: India Has 15M Broadband Connections; 712.5M Active Mobile Connections