Telecom operator Reliance Communications has reported 7.2 million 3G subscribers and 29.4 million data customers for the quarter ending March 31, 2013. The company also posted a significant increase across all the data usage parameters for the quarter. Some highlights from the RCOM’s data related usage parameters for Q4-FY13:
– Data traffic on its network has increased by 21% to 25978 TB (Terabytes) from 22512 TB in the previous quarter.
– Its 3G subscriber base increased by 18% to 7.2 million subscribers from 6.1 million subscribers in the previous quarter. RCOM claims that its 3G customer base is the highest in India.
– Its data subscriber base is up 5% to 29.4 million customers from 28 million in the previous quarter. Do note that its not clear if RCOM classifies its EVDO data card users as 3G users or merely “data users”.
– Data usage per subscriber is up 13.93% to 319 MB per connection from 280 MB last quarter, which the company claims is the highest in the industry.
– RCOM informed that its Wireless minutes of usage were 105.4 billion minutes for the quarter, up 2.3% from 103 billion minutes in the previous quarter.
– Q4 Wireless revenues were up 2.5% quarter-on-quarter (QoQ) to Rs 4,626 crore while its wireless EBITDA was up 2.3% QoQ to Rs 1,233 crore.
– RCOM’s revenue per minute for the quarter remained flat at Rs 0.44, as compared to Rs 0.44 in the previous quarter.
– During the quarter, RCOM inked a 2G intra circle roaming agreement with Aircel, allowing both the companies to share their mobile towers to offer a pan-India 2G Intra-circle roaming (ICR) coverage to subscribers of both the networks. RCOM had also informed that Aircel partnership was the first among many such partnership and it is in advanced talks with several telcos across the country for similar partnerships. The company hopes to complete all agreements by the second quarter of the ongoing financial year.
– RCOM inked a deal with Twitter to launch a new plan – ‘Reliance Twitter Access Pack’ which offered free Twitter access across Twitter.com, Mobile.twitter.com and Twitter’s official mobile apps, to its GSM subscribers for 90 days.
– RCOM also signed a Rs 1,200 crore agreement with Reliance Jio Infocomm to share its nationwide inter-city fibre optic network infrastructure and in return get access to optic fiber infrastructure which will be built by Reliance Jio Infocomm in the future.
– RCOM had also hiked its tariff by 20% across the country and cut down its promotional & concessional offers by as much as 65%. The new tariffs were applicable for all its existing and new customers and the company was looking to increase its revenue per minute and thereby its profitability through this hike.
– RCOM signed a $1 billion managed services contract with Ericsson to operate and manage the wireline and wireless networks for Northern and Western states of India. As per the contract, Ericsson was responsible to manage the day to day operations across RCOM’s wireline and wireless networks and was responsible for the field maintenance, network operations and operational planning of RCOM’s 2G, CDMA and 3G mobile networks.
– RCOM has 3G coverage in 333 towns across India and it has 11,659 3G sites across the country, up from 11,449 sites in the previous quarter.
– The total network sites remained flat at 86,792 sites.
– Total revenue of Rs 5,130 crore, down from Rs 5,136 crore in Q3-FY13 and Rs 5010 crore in Q4-FY12.
– Net profit for the period was Rs 307 crore, up from Rs 114 crore last quarter, and Rs 83 crore for the same period last year.
– Earnings Per Share was up to Rs 1.46 from Rs 0.51 last quarter, but lower than Rs 1.61 reported for the corresponding period last year.
– Reliance Digital TV has remained flat at 4.6 million subscribers quarter-on-quarter, with 8% share of the DTH market in India.
– Reliance Digital TV is available at more than 37,950 outlets across 8,350 towns in the country, a slight improvement from 37,600 outlets across 8,350 towns in the country in the previous quarter.
– The Set Top Box (STB) failure rate has gone down to 0.52% from 0.61% in the previous quarter.
– RCom’s Global Enterprise Business Unit(GEBU) EBIDTA represents 25% of consolidated EBITDA. Net revenue from this segment was at Rs 2,454 crore up 0.5% QoQ. In Q3-FY12, RCom had combined its broadband and Global operations under the GEBU segment and has not reported separate revenues, results and subscriber details for its broadband business.
– Total International Long Distance minutes increased to 5,423 million this quarter compared to last quarter’s 5,315 million.
– Total National Long Distance Minutes witnessed a decline at 15,083 million minutes
– Broadband Access lines saw a decline of 16,000, registering a total of 1,482,000 access lines.
Updates: Added Digital TV and Global data from RCOMs quarterly report. Wireless & Broadband Tables have been added.