India’s broadband connection base decreased 0.12% to 15 million at the end of February 2013, from 15.01 million at the end of January, according to the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI.
Meanwhile, the country’s mobile operators continue to clean up their act: the total number of mobile connections in the country (including multi-SIM and inactive connections) has dropped to 861.66 million in February, even as the active mobile connection base increased: 712.50 million mobile connections in India – around 82.69% of total – are active. Don’t confuse this with mobile users though, since it includes multi-SIM users.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 712.50 million active connection in the month of February.
– Idea has 98.37% of its connections active – the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 95.15%, followed by Vodafone at 94.99%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 177.57 million followed by Vodafone at 142.37 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For February 2013:
– Idea added 2.89 million connections, taking its connection base to 119.28 million.
– Bharti Airtel added 2.42 million connections, taking its connection base to 186.62 million.
– Vodafone added 2.18 million connections, taking its connection base to 149.88 million.
– RCOM added 1.63 million connections, taking its connection base to 119.94 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 88.48% active connections, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Assam and West Bengal. Tamil Nadu has just 73.84% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 73,122,951 connections.Tamil Nadu is second with 71,811,035 and Maharashtra is third, with 67,729,933 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 21.66%, Vodafone is at 17.40%, Reliance at 13.92%, Idea at 13.84% and BSNL at 11.68%.
– January 2013: India Has 15.01M Broadband Connections; 708.04M Active Mobile Conections
– Dec 2012: India’s Mobile Base Down 25.8M; Active Base Down 5.6M
– November 2012: Total 707.31M Active Mobile Base In India ; 14.88M Broadband
– October 2012: Total 703.94M Active Mobile Base In India ; 14.81M Broadband
– Total 699.00M Active Mobile Base In India, End September 2012; 15.08M Broadband; Airtel, Vodafone & Idea Lose Subscribers
– Total 701.88M Active Mobile Base In India, End August 2012; 14.82M Broadband; Uninor, Airtel, Idea & Vodafone Lose Subscribers