Bhagia joined STAR India in 2010 as VP and Head, Digital (Internet & Mobile). In his two years in STAR TV, he was responsible for all their mobile and internet initiatives. He has led digital strategy for both the entertainment and cricket businesses of STAR TV India. He was also responsible for STAR India’s mobile VAS initiatives, and manage channel websites such as starplus.in, channelv.in and portals such as indya.com, starboxoffice.com, among others.
Prior to STAR, Bhagia has worked as Executive VP & Head- APAC, Digitas, a part of the Publicis Groupe. He was with Digitas from 2002 to 2010 joining the company as Manager, Business Development. He has also served at NIIT and Times Internet Limited. Bhagia started his career as an entrepreneur during his college days with www.service4u.com which received angel funding from Sherman Intl., however, the company shut down as the company could not secure another round of funding.
Starting Up in Digital
Speaking to Medianama, Lalit Bhagia said that he plans to startup in the digital space. Having worked on both the agency side and content side, he said he is working on launching a global online business from India catering to a global audience. There are a very few global digital businesses from India, there is definitely an opportunity in this space, he added.
Speaking to MediaNama in an email conversation, Bhagia gave a couple of key takeaways on online and mobile video:
– Online Video provides the best advertising opportunity today.
– Brands need to think content (video content) and go beyond just banners.
– Mobile Video is growing faster than what everybody imagined.
– Mobile Video is not just short form as the general perception is but now also increasing long form.
– Online video business has to be mix of subscription and advertising as content owners need to make money.