Tata Teleservices Maharashtra Ltd (TTML) reported that VAS and Data Revenues accounted for 37% of its total wireless revenues for the quarter ending December 31, 2012, up from 32% in the same quarter last year.
Note that Tata Teleservices’ VAS and Data Revenues segment include earnings from its EVDO based (USB data card) connectivity business Tata Photon, where the company is a leading player, along with Reliance Communications and MTS India. Also, TTML is the sister company of Tata Teleservices Ltd (TTSL), and is operational in Goa, Maharashtra and Mumbai circles. While TTSL is not listed, both the two companies operate mobile services under the Tata Docomo brand.
TTML reported increased losses of Rs 197.2 crore for the quarter, a 7.35% increase from Rs 183.7 crore losses in the previous quarter and a 36.38% increase from Rs 144.6 crore losses in the same quarter last year. The company posted total revenue of Rs 665 crore for the quarter, registering a 2% growth from Rs 652 crore in the previous quarter and 5% growth from Rs 634 crore revenues in the same quarter last year.
The EBITDA stood at Rs 90 crore for the quarter. Note that TTML has made an additional provision of around Rs 72.3 crore for the quarter, towards the outstanding claims and litigations against the company relating to Department of Telecommunication (DoT) and other parties.
– As of November 2012, Tata Teleservices had around 72.5 million subscribers, of which 47.7 million were active subscribers.
– Last month, TTML had launched a new product portfolio for prepaid customers called Always Plus. The company says these plans will enable subscribers to get industry best tariff on voice, SMS, data, and roaming. Later in the month, TTML had extended this product to postpaid customers. In the previous quarter, Tata DOCOMO had launched postpay plans of Rs 899 and 1299 to offer unlimited voice calls and data services on a monthly basis. It had also introduced a new recharge voucher RCV 666, which allows unlimited local calls on any mobile or fixed-line network with a validity of 30 days.
– Tata Teleservices had also inked a strategic tie-up with ICICI Bank, through its wholly owned subsidiary MMP Mobi Wallet Payment Systems to launch a money transfer service. As per the agreement, MMP was appointed as a business correspondent of ICICI Bank for this service and consumers could walk into any retail outlet of MMP to deposit cash and provide payee details, following which the money will be transferred to the payee’s bank account through existing electronic fund transfer mechanisms like NEFT and IMPS among others.
The company mentioned that MMP will be enabling consumers to transfer money without opening an account and charging a nominal fee for the service, however there was no word on the exact fee charged by the company.
– Tata Teleservices Maharashtra Q2-FY13: Losses Increase 41.1% YoY
– Tata Teleservices Maharashtra Q1-FY13: Losses Increase 36% YoY; Data & VAS At 35%
– Tata Teleservices Maharastra Q4-FY12 VAS & Data At 33% Of Wireless Revenues