India’s broadband connection base increased 0.89% to 14.81 million at the end of October 2012, from 14.68 million at the end of September, according to the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI.
At the same time, the mobile connection base (including multi-SIM and inactive connections) dropped to 904.22 Million in October, from 906.61 Million in September. This is a decrease of 0.26%, but on a comparatively larger base. 77.85% of mobile connections are reportedly active – a total of 703.94 million connections, but this includes multi-SIM users, so the total mobile user base is likely to be smaller.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 703.94 million active connection in the month of October.
– Idea has 95.37% of its connections active– the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 91.72%, followed by Vodafone at 90.89%.
In terms of the number of active subscribers, Airtel leads with 170.97 million, Vodafone at 139.19 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For October 2012:
– Bharti Airtel added 0.49 million connections,taking its connection base to 185.92 million.
– Vodafone added 0.48 million connections,taking its connection base to 153.14 million.
– Idea added 0.23 million connections,taking its connection base to 115.70 million.
– Rcom lost 0.84 million connections,taking its connection base to 134.00 million.
– In terms of Active connections, J & K leads with 85.16% active subscribers, followed by Maharashtra, Assam and MP. Tamil Nadu has just 69.18% active subscribers, the lowest among all circles.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 77,428,277 connections. UP (East) is second with 73,744,825 and Maharashtra is third, with 68,769,580 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 20.62%, Vodafone is at 16.94%,Reliance at 14.82%,Idea at 12.80% and BSNL is at 11.06%.
– Total 699.00M Active Mobile Base In India, End September 2012; 15.08M Broadband; Airtel, Vodafone & Idea Lose Subscribers
– Total 701.88M Active Mobile Base In India, End August 2012; 14.82M Broadband; Uninor, Airtel, Idea & Vodafone Lose Subscribers