India’s broadband connection base increased 1.20% to 14.68 million at the end of July 2012, from 14.50 million at the end of June, according to the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI.
At the same time, the mobile connection base (including multi-SIM and inactive connections) dropped to 913.48 Million in July, down from 934.09 Million in June. This is a decrease of 2.21%, but on a comparatively larger base. 76.42% of mobile connections are reportedly active – a total of 698.08 million connections, but this includes multi-SIM users, so the total mobile user base is likely to be smaller.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 698.08 million active connection in the month of July.
– Idea has 92.80% of its connections active– the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 90.46%, followed by Vodafone at 89.16%.
In terms of the number of active subscribers, Airtel leads with 170.79 million, Vodafone at 138.18 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For July 2012:
– Bharti Airtel added 1.50 million connections,taking its connection base to 188.80 million.
– Vodafone added 1.20 million connections,taking its connection base to 154.91 million.
– Idea Cellular added 0.45 million connections, taking its connection base to 117.62 million.
– RCom lost 20.48 million connections, taking its connection base to 134.11 million.
– Tata Tele lost 2.41 million connections, taking its connection base to 77.81 million.
– In terms of Active connections, J&K leads with 83.72% active subscribers, followed by Maharashtra, MP and HP. Tamil Nadu has just 67.82% active subscribers, the lowest among all circles.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 78,199,334 connections. UP (East) is second with 75,534,512 and Maharashtra is third, with 69,180,712 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 20.67%, Vodafone is at 16.96%,Reliance at 14.68%,Idea at 12.88% and BSNL is at 10.81%.
– Total 695.80M Active Mobile Base In India, End June 2012; 14.5M Broadband
– May 2012: India has 14.31M Broadband Connections; 689.31M Active Mobile
– April 2012: India has 686.62M Active Mobile Connections; 13.95M Broadband
– March 2012: India Reports 683 Million Active Mobile Connections; Leaderboard
– February 2012 : India has 670.61M Active Mobile Connections; 13.54M Broadband
– January 2012: India has 659.99M Active Mobile Connections; 13.42M Broadband