India’s broadband connection base increased 1.36% to 14.50 million at the end of June 2012, from 14.31 million at the end of May, according to the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI.
At the same time, the mobile connection base (including multi-SIM and inactive connections) increased to 934.09 Million in June, up from 929.36 Million in May. This is an increase of 0.51%, but on a comparatively larger base. 74.49% of mobile connections are reportedly active – a total of 695.80 million connections, but this includes multi-SIM users, so the total mobile user base is likely to be smaller.
Inactive Connections Being Weeded Out?
Four telecom operators reported a decline in their connection base during the month:
– Tata Teleservices’ connection base declined by 1.61% (1.31 million) to 47.52 million connections.
– Loop Telecom’s connection base declined 3.37% (0.1 million) to 3.15 million connections.
– Videocon’s connection base declined by 10.6% (0.66 million) to 5.57 million connections
– HFCL’s base declined by 5266 connections
What’s worth nothing is that for three of these telcos, the active user base went up for the quarter: Tata Tele’s active base was up 0.42 million, Loop’s was up 69,457, and HFCL’s was up 0.67 million. We wonder if inactive connections are now being weeded out. Videocon, though, reported a decline in its active connection base of 84,348 connections.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 695.80 million active connection in the month of June.
– Idea has 92.51% of its connections active– the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 90.78%, followed by Vodafone at 89.30%.
In terms of the number of active subscribers, Airtel leads with 170.03 million, Vodafone at 137.26 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For June 2012:
– Bharti Airtel added 2 million connections,taking its connection base to 187.30 million.
– Vodafone added 1.22 million connections,taking its connection base to 153.70 million.
– Idea Cellular added 1.19 million connections, taking its connection base to 117.16 million.
– In terms of Active connections, J&K leads with 84.62% active subscribers, followed by Maharashtra, Assam and Madhya Pradesh. Mumbai has just 64.92% active subscribers, the lowest among all circles.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 79,533,169 connections. UP (East) is second with 77,429,909 and Maharashtra is third, with 71,569,044 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 20.05%, Reliance is at 16.55%,Vodafone at 16.46%,Idea at 12.54% and BSNL is at 10.52%.
– May 2012: India has 14.31M Broadband Connections; 689.31M Active Mobile
– April 2012: India has 686.62M Active Mobile Connections; 13.95M Broadband
– March 2012: India Reports 683 Million Active Mobile Connections; Leaderboard
– February 2012 : India has 670.61M Active Mobile Connections; 13.54M Broadband
– January 2012: India has 659.99M Active Mobile Connections; 13.42M Broadband