Times Internet Limited* (Indiatimes), which live streamed the matches of the recently concluded Indian Premier League (IPL) in partnership with YouTube, has reported a combined pageviews of 113 million pageviews, a 55% increase from 72 million pageviews in IPL 4. In a Tweet, Sundar Raman, the CEO of the Indian Premier League said that pageviews at IPLT20.com, the official website of the IPL, increased by 355%, although he didn’t mention at absolute figure.
Indiatimes claimed that the pageviews from India stood at 80 million, a 87% increase from 43 million pageviews in the last season (IPL 4). That being said, it should be noted that these are combined stats between both the channels it streamed the content on – YouTube and Indiatimes and there is currently no information on the stats of individual channels, or the split between live streaming and video on demand content.
First and Last Week Stats: Responding to a query from Medianama, the company Indiatimes that it had reported 13.7 million (1,37,35,136) pageviews during the first week and 15.95 million (1,59,51, 570) pageviews during the last week of the tournament.
City Wise Breakup: Bangalore reported the highest pageviews for this season, accounting for 13.6% of the total pageviews (around 15.37 million pageviews), followed by New Delhi which accounted for 13.2% of the total pageviews (around 14.91 million pageviews) and Mumbai which accounted for 9% of the total pageviews (around 10.17 million pageviews). Remaining cities in the list include Chennai (7.6%), Hyderabad (7.1%), Kolkata (6.4%), Pune (5.9%) and Ahmedabad (2.1%).
In the first week, New Delhi and Bangalore lead the viewership with 14 per cent each, while Mumbai was a close second at 13 percent.
Battleground: Indiatimes introduced a Battleground feature with this IPL, which allowed supporters of any particular team to cheer their respective teams, send messages to players, and throw virtual tomatoes or eggs at the opposition. This game also had integration to Facebook, and sought to increase engagement. According to data released by the company for the first week, battleground saw 1.5 million engagements. We don’t have battleground data for the entire duration of the IPL, though.
Mobile Data: In the first week, the IPL around 0.6 million viewers saw the matches on their mobile, across Airtel, Idea and Vodafone, double of the traffic last year. We don’t have data for the entire duration of the IPL, and have requested Apalya for it.
Biggest days: For the first week, the matches on the 10th of April between Royal Challengers Bangalore and Kolkata Knight Riders, and between Delhi Daredevils and Chennai Super Kings had registered maximum views, with 2.15 million views on the site, and 0.7 million unique visitors. Overall, the final match of the tournament generated over 7.5 million pageviews, which was the highest single day unique users during the entire season.
Indiatimes Partnerships During The Season
Having won the global rights to the Indian Premier League for Internet, Mobile, Radio and Television (for certain territories) for a total rights fee of Rs. 261.6 crore rupees for a four year period 2011-14 last year, Indiatimes has quite a few partnerships for this year’s edition of IPL.
– YouTube: It had signed a non-exclusive partnership with YouTube last year to offer simultaneous live streams and video clips on its YouTube channel and on its portal, however Indiatimes was keeping 100% of the ad revenues on YouTube since it was selling and managing ad inventory on the video sharing portal. Its also worth noting that Indiatimes had plans of a Pay-Per-View model for the live stream of matches in two major markets. However, Khiani refused to divulge the names of these markets and of partners.
– Apalya: Apalya had tied up with Indiatimes as its mobile partner to live stream the IPL matches on mobile phones. The matches was streamed on Indian telecom operator decks through Apalya and it also offered mobile apps on Android and iOS. The iPhone and iPad apps were priced at $4.99 and $9.99 and offered a live stream, however the Android app was available for free download but lacked a live stream.
– AvaniTV: AvaniTV had tied up with Indiatimes to broadcast IPL 5 matches live on its AvaniTV car kit from April 4, 2012 – May 27, 2012. The car kit was available in all major Indian cities including Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, Cochin, Pune, eastern UP among others for Rs 19,000. AvaniTV had tied up with Reliance Communications for Internet connectivity to access the content.
– Ozone Media: Ozone Media had tied up with Indiatimes as their exclusive sales partners for IPL 2012 WAP, Android and Blackberry Applications, thereby signaling its entry into mobile advertising space.
– All India Radio: AIR broadcasted the running commentary of the last three IPL matches including the eliminator match in Bengaluru on May 24, the second qualifier match at Chennai on May 25 and the finals scheduled at Chennai on May 27. This commentary was broadcasted alternatively in Hindi and English on the National channel and on the FM Gold Network. AIR’s national channel currently broadcasts in various Indian states like Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Goa, Haryana, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Orissa, Pondicherry, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal and parts of Assam, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
Besides this, Indiatimes had claimed that it will be spending $6-$7 million on IPL marketing and promotion and had signed up Coca Cola, Samsung, and Maruti as their main sponsors with other sponsors being HUL, Hero, Citibank, eBay, Karbonn Mobile and Kotak Mahindra Bank.
It had launched a revamped portal offering a video timeline scorecard which allowed viewers to click on various events like sixes and wickets or fifties and hundreds, go back to that specific point in the match, and then switch back to realtime stream.
Related IPL Coverage:
– BookMyShow To Sell IPL 5 Tickets For Select Teams; Why Not Use A Single Portal For All?
– Delhi Daredevils Launches Hindi Website
– Updated: Indiatimes’ IPL5 Plans: Brand Integration, Gamification, YouTube Revenue, Celebrity Tweets, Takedowns
– IPL 5 Round-Up: Avani TV; Mig33; Games; Merchandise
*Disclosure: Times Internet Limited (Indiatimes) is an advertiser of Medianama