Another month of slow growth for Indian broadband: the connection base was up only 1.13% to 13.95 million at the end of April 2012, from 13.79 million at the end of March, according to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI. The mobile connection base increased to 921.01 Million in April as compared to 919.17 Million in March, an increase of 0.20%, but on a much larger base. The active mobile connection base is 74.55% of total, and stands at 686.62 million connections, but this includes multi-SIM users. Please keep in mind that this increased base is for the month of January, before the 2G Scam verdict from the Indian Supreme Court, following which Etisalat has stopped operations, and STel has shut down. Click here for details on license cancellation.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 686.62 million active connection in the month of April.
– Idea has 93.22% of its connections active– the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 91.36%, followed by Vodafone at 88.86%.
– S Tel, Etisalat, MTNL, Videocon, and Loop are at the bottom in terms of the number of active subscribers.
In terms of the number of active subscribers, Airtel leads with 167.45 million, Vodafone at 134.43 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For April 2012:
– Bharti Airtel added 2.01 million connections,taking its connection base to 183.29 million.
– Idea Cellular added 1.48 million connections,taking its connection base to 114.20 million.
– Uninor added 1.11 million connections, taking its connection base to 43.55 million.
– Aircel added 1.01 million connections, taking its connection base to 63.58 million.
– Vodafone added 0.81 million connections, taking its connection base to 151.28 million.
– In terms of Active connections, J&K leads with 84.49% active subscribers, followed by Assam, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. Mumbai has just 63.35% active subscribers, the lowest among all circles.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 78,067,866 connections. UP (East) is second with 75,776,515 and Maharashtra is third, with 70,002,604 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 19.90%, Reliance is at 16.67%,Vodafone at 16.43%,Idea at 12.40% and BSNL is at 10.62%.
– Companies like HFCL and Etisalat hold a mere 0.15% and 0.00% of the market share respectively.
* New Telcos: Datacom/Videocon, Loop Telecom, MTS/Sistema, Swan Telecom/Etisalat, S Tel, Uninor
– March 2012: India Reports 683 Million Active Mobile Connections; Leaderboard
– February 2012 : India has 670.61M Active Mobile Connections; 13.54M Broadband
– January 2012: India has 659.99M Active Mobile Connections; 13.42M Broadband