Saregama, the Indian music company headquartered in Kolkata has a beta version of its new webstore at beta.saregama.com. The site is still in development and does not have many working features. Here’s our experience using the site.
While the site offers one to sign up using Facebook connect we still had to enter details like our name in registration form for sign up. That’s one extra step towards shooing away its customers. Upon registration, we got a confirmation email from Dhoondho.com who probably developed the website and not from something like email@example.com which we would have preferred. Although we give them a benefit of doubt since the site is still in beta, but we can’t still can’t get over the fact that some other domain might have access to our email ids.
Users can download songs in MP3 format which starts from Rs 9.95 per song. Saregama is also apparently going to offer memberships for recurring customers. Upon signing up for membership users are entitled to discounts based on plans subscribed:
- Silver plan offers 12 songs for Rs 99/year at 5% discount
- Gold plan offers 40 songs for Rs 299/year at 10% discount
- Platinum plan 80 songs for Rs 499/year at 15% discount
- Red Carpet offers 200 songs for Rs 999/year at 25% discount
However, we were able to download songs free of cost without subscribing to any of the plans or making a one time payment for the song.
Nikhil adds: Why would you go live with a site, allowing users to download songs, without a payment gateway in place? This is schoolboy stuff. Saregama should put this beta site behind a landing page, instead of making it live, unprotected.
– Playlists: One can create playlist, add songs to the playlist and play the playlist or just a single song on the cloud. Saregama has a huge range of songs starting from ’50s era to 2000s.
– Downloads: One can also download ringtone of the song, dedicate a song via email. However, when we tried to dedicate a song, we faced some technical issue and couldn’t dedicate the song even on multiple attempts.
– Languages: Saregama also offers songs in various and Genres languages – Assame, Bengali, Hindi, English, Gujarati, Hindustani, Marathi, Malaylam, Punjabi, Sanskrit, and Tamil to name a few. There are pre-defined playlist available based on artists, actors, actresses, lyricists and musicians.
The design of the site looks like something from the ’90s and it will be difficult for users to figure out that they can actually share the song to their network on Facebook without the standard Facebook share button.
It also appears that Saregama will be offering some music related games on the site but it does not seem to work at the moment.
Something new that’s old
The eStore offers LP players in syndication with leading manufactures Lenco, an unique opportunity to take users back in time. However, the beta site offers only single type of LP Player while the Saregama’s eStore offers up t0 5 type of LP Player. Perhaps that functionality will be included once the site is fully functional and live.