As many as 37.11 million subscribers submitted number porting requests during the month of February in 2012, according to the Indian Telecom regulator TRAI. This is higher than the 32.78 million porting requests in January 2012, an increase of 13.18% month on month, and easily the highest number of portability requests till date, after MNP was introduced in January 2011.It remains to be seen whether the portability requests increased in February, after the Indian Supreme Court announced its 2G scam verdict, cancelling 122 licenses, including those given to new telcos Uninor, Shyam Sistema (MTS), Etisalat DB (Swan), STel, Loop Telecom, and some given to incumbents like Idea Cellular and Tata Teleservices.
The maximum number of requests in Zone-I(North and West India) have been received in Gujarat at 34.26 lakh. Haryana, where the service was made available in November 2010, received a total of 16.42 lakh porting requests. Jammu & Kashmir registered the lowest number of requests at 6055, but that is expected, since it has among the lowest user base.
In Zone-II(South and East India), Karnataka leads, with 39.40 lakh customers requesting for number porting, followed by Andhra Pradesh, which received 34.60 lakh requests. There were just 27,959 requests from the North East circle. Note that TRAI has not provided operator wise information.
Download: TRAI Press Release
– 32.78M Mobile Number Portability Requests In India In January 2012
– 29.24M Mobile Number Portability Requests In India In December 2011
– 25.83M Number Portability Requests In India In November 2011
– Mobile Number Portability In India Up 12.30% To 23.16M In October 2011
– Mobile Number Portability In India Up 14.23% To 20.62M In September 2011
– Mobile Number Portability In India Up 16.15% to 18.05M In August 2011
– Mobile Number Portability Requests In India Up 19.73% To 15.54M in July 2011
– Mobile Number Portability Requests In India Up 22.85% To 12.98M in June 2011
– Mobile Number Portability Requests In India Up 23.75% To 10.57M in May 2011
– Mobile Number Portability Requests In India Up 33% To 8.5M in April 2011