On its earnings conference call for Q3-FY11, Vodafone said that it was pleased with the outcome of the tax case in India, which went in favour of the company.
– It said that service revenue growth was robust at +20% and customer growth was at +19% in India.
– 56% customers in India were on new higher price plans.
– Data revenue growth remained strong at +46%, led by mobile Internet. 31.2 million data users- grew at 2.3 times YoY.
– Regualatory environment remains uncertain.
– Average Outgoing call price during the quarter was at Rs 0.61 per minute.
3:46 PM: If given a chance would Vodafone participate in fresh spectrum auction? Vodafone said that there were potentially 3 benefits, even though there’s a long way to go before it understands the process. Firstly, more free spectrum would be available following the verdict. Secondly, more spectrum will be available. The Vodafone exec on the call indicated that the company would be interested in bidding for spectrum if given an option and said, “Yes we are interested in more spectrum.We’re also interested in transparent pricing instead of an obscure way to determine pricing.” He further said that the verdict would lead to rationalization in terms of the number of players. “I’d be surprised if it would be the same number of players after the fresh auction.”
4:17 PM: On 3G network in India: Vodafone has 10,700 3G sites with 15% population coverage. The company is working on new pricing plans with focus on daily allowances and snacking. It also intends to introduce more local content and says that growth will depend on greater handset penetration, which at the moment is only at 3%. The company said that it has made good progress but these are early days.
4:18 PM: Concall ends