Here’s a brief look at the major announcements made at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, on Day Two
– Adobe: Adobe announced new features to its Digital Publishing Suite including a new in-app merchandising, provisioning of targeted content based on user role, and better app creation. The company claimed that more than 16 million digital publications, powered by Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, were downloaded on tablets over the last year. 68 percent of readers worldwide currently pay for digital magazines on tablets in which 15 percent paid for single issue, 26 percent paid for subscriptions and and 27 percent paid for bundles of print and digital issues. The company also rolled out its photo editing software Photoshop to iPad and released an integrated video publishing, advertising and analytics platform.
– Mozilla: Mozilla demoed a prototype hardware for its Boot To Gecko Project, a mobile operating system that is completely based on web and HTML5. The browser company has partnered with Telefonica and Qualcomm to develop mobile devices running on this platform, and is labelling them as Open Web Devices. Press Release
– Waze: Social traffic & navigation app Waze has announced a new version of its Android app. This new update brings along a complete redesign of the app, featuring a new minimalist graphic interface and Foursquare and Yelp POI (Points of Interest) integration. The company also introduced hands-free traffic reporting to its iPhone app. Drivers can now speak to navigate, report traffic, and alert others about hazardous road incidents by a simple wave of the hand or use Apple’s Siri app for specific addresses and local search queries. The company claimed that Waze has 12 million users members at present.
– Adfonic: Mobile advertising marketplace Adfonic announced the availability of its new rich media offering, allowing advertisers and agencies to plan and buy rich media campaigns globally. It has partnered with various third party rich media vendors like Celtra, Crisp Wireless, Phluant Mobile and Medialets, to support a variety of rich media ad formats including expandable banners, interstitials and video. The company said that advertisers could expect to get access to 10 billion monthly rich media enabled ad requests worldwide through their offerings. Press Release
– Ericsson: Ericsson has launched two new services within its extended Ericsson M-commerce portfolio called Ericsson Converged Wallet and Ericsson Merchant Wallet. Press Release.
– Airspan: Airspan, a 4G broadband wireless access networks, has announced that Nepal Telecom has selected its 4G equipment for a countrywide deployment. Press Release (docx)
– Samsung: Samsung has partnered with FeliCa Networks, Inc to increase the adoption of near field communication (NFC)-based mobile wallet in Japan. Samsung will develop NFC compatible FeliCa IC solutions and Samsung/FeliCa Networks NFC-SAM (Secure Application Module) chips will offer consumers an secure mobile wallet through a variety of applications including prepaid money, credit cards and transportation tickets among others. The commercial deployment is expected to happen in 2013. Press Release
– TripAdvisor: TripAdvisor has announced that its mobile app has surpassed 15 million total downloads across all platforms, languages and devices with an average of 25 times per minute in January 2012. It also announced the launch of its new HTML5 cross-platform tablet app which is now available in the Android market. In addition, it also announced a widget for its Android app. Press Release
– Novatel: Wireless networking solutions provider Novatel Wireless has partnered with SeeControl, a M2M application provider to introduce an end-to-end pre-integrated usage-based-insurance (UBI) telematics solution. Press Release
– Synchronica: Mobile messaging solutions company Synchronica has introduced (docx) a new cross platform mobile messaging platform called Unity which will enable mobile operators and device manufacturers to deliver a complete unified messaging experience. Unity will feature geo-socialization and real-time, on-the-fly translation between more than 50 languages thanks to Ortsbo partnership and will be available for Android, iOS, Windows Phone and BlackBerry Smartphone platforms along with MediaTek and Spreadtrum platforms. A part of the Unity product is its first Geo Socialization product (docx) called Synchronica uChat which mixes messaging and location functionality to expand the user’s social circle by delivering dynamic, one-to-one or group chat based on user’s current location or nearby points of interest and allow the user to see who and what’s near them.
– Huawei: Huawei has launched a 10″ Quad Core tablet called Huawei MediaPad 10 FHD. Features include 1.5GHz quad-core processor, Android 4.0 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ operating system, a 10-inch IPS high definition display screen, 8 megapixel rear automatic-focus camera and a 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera and 2GB RAM. Expected launch in Q2 2012. Press Release