Another month of slow growth for Indian broadband: the connection base was up only 1.30% to 13.30 million at the end of December 2011, from 13.13 million at the end of November, according to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI. The mobile connection base increased to 893.84 Million in December as compared to 884.37 Million in November, an increase of 1.07%, but on a much larger base. The active mobile connection base is 72.36% of total, and stands at 646.78 million connections.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 646.78 million active connection in the month of December.
– Idea has 92.98% of its connections active– the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 90.02%, followed by Vodafone at 84.92%.
– Etisalat, S Tel, MTNL, and Loop are at the bottom in terms of the number of active subscribers.
In terms of the number of active subscribers, Airtel leads with 158.12 million, followed by Vodafone at 125.46 million, Idea at 98.91 million and RCOM at 96.96 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For December 2011:
– Idea Cellular added 2.38 million connections,taking its connection base to 106.38 million.
– Uninor added 2.12 million connections, taking its connection base to 36.30 million.
– Bharti Airtel added 0.96 million connections, taking its connection base to 175.65 million.
– RCom added 0.94 million connections, taking its connection base to 150.07 million.
– Vodafone added 0.90 million connections, taking its connection base to 147.74 million.
– Videocon lost 37,334 connections, witnessing a negative growth of 0.68%
– In terms of Active connections, J&K leads with 83.11% active subscribers, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Assam. Mumbai has just 60.79% active subscribers, the lowest among all circles.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 75,766,512 connections. UP (East) is second with 71,751,043 and Maharashtra is third, with 68,600,066 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 19.65%, Reliance is at 16.79%,Vodafone at 16.53%,Idea at 11.90% and BSNL is at 10.83%.
– Companies like HFCL and Etisalat hold a mere 0.13% and 0.19% of the market share respectively.
* New Telcos: Datacom/Videocon, Loop Telecom, MTS/Sistema, Swan Telecom/Etisalat, S Tel, Uninor
– November 2011: Tata Tele Loses 4.4M Connections; India has 13.13M Broadband Connections
– October 2011: India has 12.98M Broadband Connections; 626.14M Active Mobile
– September 2011: India has 12.84M Broadband Connections; 617.73M Active Mobile
– August 2011: India has 12.69M Broadband Connections; 608.59M Active Mobile
– July 2011: India has 12.50M Broadband Connections; 606.43M Active Mobile
– June 2011: India has 12.32M Broadband Connections; 594.73M Active Mobile
– May 2011: India has 12.12M Broadband Connections; 69.99% Of 840.28M Mobile Are Active
– April 2011: India has 12.01M Broadband Connections; 70.53% Of 826.93M Mobile Are Active
– March 2011: India Has 11.87M Broadband Connections; 811.58M Mobile With 70.72% Active
– 6.42 Million Requests for Mobile Number Portability in March 2011 In India