According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India witnessed a growth of 1.24% in its broadband connection base, taking the total number of broadband connections to 12.84 million in September 2011 from 12.69 million in August. The mobile connection base increased to 873.61 Million in September as compared to 865.70 Million in August, an increase of 0.91%. However, the active mobile connection base is 70.71% of total, at 617.73 million connections.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 617.73 million active connection in the month of September.
– Idea has 91.03% of its connections active– the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 88.60%, followed by Vodafone at 81.22%.
– Etisalat, MTNL, S Tel, and Videocon are at the bottom in terms of the number of active subscribers.
– However, in terms of the number of active subscribers, Airtel leads with 153.08 million, followed by Vodafone at 117.76 million, RCOM at 93.37 million and Idea at 91.19 million.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For September 2011:
– Idea Cellular added 1.73 million connections,taking its connection base to 100.18 million.
– RCom added 1.02 million connections, taking its connection base to 147.08 million.
– Bharti Airtel added 0.93 million connections, taking its connection base to 172.78 million.
– Vodafone added 0.84 million connections, taking its connection base to 144.99 million.
– Aircel added 0.60 million connections, taking its connection base to 59.79 million.
– BSNL added 0.38 million connections, taking its connection base to 95.79 million.
– Videocon lost 113,212 connections, witnessing a negative growth of 1.77%
– In terms of Active connections, J&K leads with 84.42% active subscribers, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat. Mumbai has just 60% active subscribers, the lowest among all circles.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 74,379,609 connections. UP (East) is second with 68,870,674 and Maharashtra is third, with 66,816,731 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 19.78%, Reliance is at 16.84%,Vodafone at 16.60%,Idea at 11.47% and BSNL is at 10.97%.
– Companies like HFCL and Etisalat hold a mere 0.14% and 0.17% of the market share respectively.
* New Telcos: Datacom/Videocon, Loop Telecom, MTS/Sistema, Swan Telecom/Etisalat, S Tel, Uninor
– August 2011: India has 12.69M Broadband Connections; 608.59M Active Mobile
– July 2011: India has 12.50M Broadband Connections; 606.43M Active Mobile
– June 2011: India has 12.32M Broadband Connections; 594.73M Active Mobile
– May 2011: India has 12.12M Broadband Connections; 69.99% Of 840.28M Mobile Are Active
– April 2011: India has 12.01M Broadband Connections; 70.53% Of 826.93M Mobile Are Active
– March 2011: India Has 11.87M Broadband Connections; 811.58M Mobile With 70.72% Active
– 6.42 Million Requests for Mobile Number Portability in March 2011 In India