- Cybercrimes: Cyber crime cases seem to have more than doubled in the last year as a total of 966 cyber crime cases were booked under the Information Technology Act in 2010, as per the general cyber crime data maintained by National Crime Records Bureau. This is a significant increase from 420 cases in 2009, 288 cases in 2008 and 217 cases in 2007. Sachin Pilot, the minister of State in the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology informed the Lok Sabha that 356 cyber crime cases were booked under Cyber Crime related Sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC) in 2010, a slight increase from 276 cases in 2009. It had registered 176 cases in 2009 and 339 cases in 2007. The number of Government websites being hacked by various hacker groups has however marginally dipped to 219 websites in January – October 2011, as compared to 252 websites in 2010. Around 119 websites were hacked in 2009 and 90 websites were hacked in 2008. - Unsolicited communications: Milind Deora, the Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology informed Rajya Sabha that the total number of complaints on unsolicited calls on mobile phones has dropped to 5979 complaints ever since the telecom commercial communications customer preference regulations came into force on September 27, 2011. Prior to this regulation, around 47,454 complaints were received every month, on an average from March 2010 to March 2011. Also, the TRAI has informed that no complaints had been received regarding access providers refusing registrations to National Customer Preference Registry for the new…
- RBI increases UPI and recurring transaction limits for certain categories December 8, 2023
- The Quantum Hub discusses concerns on age verification and children’s data processing under India’s data protection law December 8, 2023
- India’s central bank to set up cloud facility for financial sector December 8, 2023
- Navigating the Complexities of Open Source AI: Insights from Carnegie India Summit December 8, 2023
- Supreme Court Dismisses Plea by Foundation for Media Professionals on Internet Shutdowns December 8, 2023
MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.
Factors like Indus not charging developers any commission for in-app payments and antitrust orders issued by India's competition regulator against Google could contribute to...
Is open-sourcing of AI, and the use cases that come with it, a good starting point to discuss the responsibility and liability of AI?...
RBI Deputy Governor Rabi Shankar called for self-regulation in the fintech sector, but here's why we disagree with his stance.
Straw man fallacy: IT Ministers’ defence of government exemptions in data protection law misses the point
Both the IT Minister and the IT Minister of State have chosen to avoid the actual concerns raised, and have instead defended against lesser...
The Central Board of Film Certification found power outside the Cinematograph Act and came to be known as the Censor Board. Are OTT self-regulating...
Please subscribe to MediaNama. Don't share prints and PDFs.
You May Also Like
Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...
135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...
Twitter takes down tweets from MP, MLA, editor criticising handling of pandemic upon government request
By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...