MediaNama, India’s premier digital industry publication, is hiring 2 interns to explore and learn the use of the Right To Information Act for journalism, and use information retrieved for data journalism.
Please note: we’re only hiring interns, on a part-time and flexi-time basis.
Your work will involve:
– Scanning government websites, and news reports on MediaNama and other publications on the State and Central governments policies, initiatives and spends related to the digital (Internet, mobile, DTH, IPTV, devices, media) domains.
– Identifying issues, policies and developments of national, state and industry importance, for which data and industry views have been submitted, but have not been made public by the government.
– Preparing information request templates specific to departments, for using Right To Information Act, and identifying the PIO with whom to file for information.
– Filing appeals in case information has been denied.
– Scanning government websites for public disclosures of data.
– Creating visualizations that represent data in a visually appealing and easy to understand format, with the intent to change or prove assumptions regarding important industry trends.
– Once a week you will have to report to our office for project ideas and feedback.
– During the week, you will have to execute the project on a flexi-time basis, with a few hours of research and visualization every day.
– 4 RTI filings a week
– 2 visualizations a week
– Fresher/Student (we prefer journalism students)
– Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel. You might have to learn other visualization tools on the job.
– Excellent command of the English language
– An eye for detail, and exceptional research skills
– Basic working knowledge of HTML / WordPress
– PC & Internet connectivity at home
Location: Civil Lines, Delhi. Also open to candidates from other cities – you can work with us remotely if you have a PC and a broadband connection.
How To Apply
– Email your CV to Nikhil Pahwa, Editor, MediaNama at email@example.com . Please use ‘Application for RTI & Data Journalism Internship’ as the subject.
– Email us two writing samples, along-with a note on why you are interested in this internship.
– You will be given one visualization to do as a test.
*- Can vary, depending on your requirements. You don’t need to report to the office if you’re not based in Delhi.