According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India witnessed a growth of 1.46% in its broadband connection base taking the total number of broadband connections to 12.69 million in August 2011 from 12.50 million in July. The mobile connection base increased to 865.70 Million in August as compared to 858.36 Million in July, an increase of 0.86%. However, the active mobile connection base is 70.30% of total, at 608.59 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For August 2011:
– Idea Cellular added 2.33 million connections,taking its connection base to 98.44 million.
– RCom added 1.27 million connections, taking its connection base to 146.06 million.
– Bharti Airtel added 1.15 million connections, taking its connection base to 171.84 million.
– Vodafone added 1.13 million connections, taking its connection base to 144.14 million.
– Uninor added 349,488 million connections, taking its connection base to 27.74 million.
– Videocon lost 652,383 connections, witnessing a negative growth of 9.27%
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 608.59 million active connection in the month of August.
– Idea has 91.55% of its connections active- the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 88.86%, followed by Vodafone at 81.01%.
– Etisalat, HFCL, Videocon, and MTNL are at the bottom in terms of the number of active subscribers.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 73,811,573 connections. UP (East) is second with 67,906,053 and Maharashtra is third, with 66,520,271 connections.
– Kolkata reported a negative growth of 0.34%. Kolkata lost 81,453 subscribers.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 19.85%, Reliance is at 16.87%,Vodafone at 16.65%,Idea at 11.37% and BSNL is at 11.02%.
– Companies like HFCL and Etisalat hold a mere 0.17% and 0.17% of the market share respectively.
* New Telcos: Datacom/Videocon, Loop Telecom, MTS/Sistema, Swan Telecom/Etisalat, S Tel, Uninor
– July 2011: India has 12.50M Broadband Connections; 606.43M Active Mobile
– June 2011: India has 12.32M Broadband Connections; 594.73M Active Mobile
– May 2011: India has 12.12M Broadband Connections; 69.99% Of 840.28M Mobile Are Active
– April 2011: India has 12.01M Broadband Connections; 70.53% Of 826.93M Mobile Are Active
– March 2011: India Has 11.87M Broadband Connections; 811.58M Mobile With 70.72% Active
– 6.42 Million Requests for Mobile Number Portability in March 2011 In India