According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India witnessed a growth of 1.46% in its broadband connection base taking the total number of broadband connections to 12.50 million in July 2011 from 12.32 million in June. The mobile connection base increased to 858.36 Million in July as compared to 851.70 Million in June, an increase of 0.78%. However, the active mobile connection base is 70.65% of total, at 606.43 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For July 2011:
– RCom added 1.52 million connections, taking its connection base to 144.78 million.
– Bharti Airtel added 1.51 million connections, taking its connection base to 170.69 million.
– Vodafone added 1.49 million connections, taking its connection base to 143.01 million.
– BSNL added 1.42 million connections,taking its connection base to 95.14 million.
– Uninor added 1.05 million connections.
– Idea Cellular added 1 million connections.
– Aircel added 0.60 million connections.
– Tata Teleservices lost 2.67 million connections, registering a negative growth of 2.94%.
– Videocon lost 95,010 connections, witnessing a negative growth of 1.33%
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 606.43 million active connection in the month of July.
– Idea has 93.31% of its connections active- the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 89.86%, followed by Vodafone at 81.52%.
– Videocon, Etisalat, MTNL, and HFCL are at the bottom in terms of the number of active subscribers.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 73,300,714 connections. UP (East) is second with 67,323,638 and Maharashtra is third, with 65,555,177 connections.
– Delhi and UP(East) circles reported a negative growth of 1.55% and 0.37%, respectively. Delhi lost 637,157 subscribers, while UP(E) lost 251,224 subscribers.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 19.89%, Reliance is at 16.87%,Vodafone at 16.66%,Idea at 11.20% and BSNL is at 11.08%.
– Companies like HFCL and Etisalat hold a mere 0.16% and 0.17% of the market share respectively.
* New Telcos: Datacom/Videocon, Loop Telecom, MTS/Sistema, Swan Telecom/Etisalat, S Tel, Uninor
– June 2011: India has 12.32M Broadband Connections; 594.73M Active Mobile
– May 2011: India has 12.12M Broadband Connections; 69.99% Of 840.28M Mobile Are Active
– April 2011: India has 12.01M Broadband Connections; 70.53% Of 826.93M Mobile Are Active
– March 2011: India Has 11.87M Broadband Connections; 811.58M Mobile With 70.72% Active
– 6.42 Million Requests for Mobile Number Portability in March 2011 In India