As of March 2011, urban connections account for nearly 61.44 % of the total telecom connections in India. Some observations, but do keep in mind that some of many of these connections may actually be inactive:
– Airtel has the maximum number of rural connections at 65.73 million (39.72% of total)
– at 46.05 million, 51.45% of Idea Cellular’s connections are rural, the maximum for any operator. It is the only telecom operator with more than half its base rural.
– As much as 78.48% of Reliance Communications subscriber base is urban. Remember that this is a telecom operator begun with the pitch bringing rural customers into the telecom base.
Data Source: TRAI
Also, we weren’t able to depict three telcos in this chart, owing to their tiny subscriber base in March 2011:
– Sistema (MTS): 7.74 million urban connections, 2.36 million rural (23.37% of total is rural)
– S-Tel: 2.02 million urban connections, 0.80 million rural (28.37% of tota is rurall).
– HFCL (Quadrant) has 1.66 Million urban connections, 0.001 million rural
Share data sources with us: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Advertise: To advertise on Chart of the Day, contact email@example.com. Daily and segment-wise options available.