wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Naspers Invested $12.8 M In Ibibo In FY11; Tencent Stake At 19.9%

Naspers, the South African media conglomerate, has said in its investor presentation that it invested ZAR 92 million (around $12.8 million or Rs 59.2 crore at current rates)  in MIH India (Ibibo) during the 2010-11 financial year (FY11). This is substantially more than the ZAR 76 million (around $10.6 million at current rates) it had invested in 2009-10 the financial year (FY10), but less than the ZAR 98 million invested in the company during the 2008-09 fiscal. MIH India Global Internet Limited (MIH India) is a joint venture between Naspers and Tencent, and owns the social network Ibibo.com and e-commerce businesses Tradus.in and GoIbibo.com. In the annual statements, Naspers makes the following statements about its Indian business:

– Good growth in social media and micropayments
– Successfully launched marketplace trading platform
– Established largest domestic online travel website
– Created payment platform and integrated major banks, credit card companies and mobile operators

In particular, the claim of being the largest domestic online travel website (GoIbibo) is unexpected – we would have thought that established OTAs like MakeMyTrip, Yatra and Cleartrip, or platforms like Via would be larger.

Naspers also owns 30% in Mobile VAS company ACL Wireless, 36.1% in mobile advertising and content company Buzz City, and 43.6% in Mobile Instant Messenger and Internet Telephony service Nimbuzz, as well as a majority 71.5% (fully diluted) stake in classifieds business OLX. MIH’s acquisition of Gaadi.com* from Accentium Web in February 2011 finds no mention in the report.

During the 2009-10 fiscal, Ibibo launched social games, integrated telecom operator billing for microtransactions, launched a mobile browser. More recently, it opened up its gaming platform API to developers.

Tencent Increases Stake To 19.9%

Chinese Internet major Tencent, in which Naspers owns around 34% stake through its MIH business,  has acquired an additional 9.9% stake in MIH India, by exercising its options. According to MIH’s annual reports, “At 31 March 2011
Tencent held a 19.9% interest in MIH India with the remaining 80.1% held by the group.” In the past, Tencent has acquired 6% in December 2008, and another 4% in March 2010. TenCent, in 2008, had also said that it would invest $7.5 million in MIH India.

Readers should keep in mind that Tencent has the option to acquire stake of up to 50% in MIH India, in lieu of licensing its technology and content: MIH India has an exclusive license to this technology for an initial period of seven years (starting 2008), following which MIH can keep the technology, but it will be on a non-exclusive basis.

Source documents:

– Naspers Annual Report – 2010, 2011
– Audited Financial Statements – 2011
– Naspers Financial Results Presentation – 2011
– Naspers Analyst Day Presenation – 2010
– Tencent-MIH deal filing – 2008

*Disclosure: My cousin Vivek Pahwa owns Accentium Web Pvt Ltd

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

News

Media company HT Media Limited posted a consolidated operational revenue of ₹341 crore, which is down 40% YoY and up 31% over the previous...

News

E-commerce marketplace IndiaMART InterMESH Ltd. reported a 34.5% increase in traffic on a year-on-year (YoY) basis, growing to 253 million in the quarter ended...

News

HDFC Bank reported a net profit of ₹8,758.3 crore, for the October to December quarter of 2020, up by 18% from ₹7416.5 crore in...

News

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday signed an executive order banning US transactions with eight Chinese apps, including Ant Group’s Alipay. While the order...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2018 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to Daily Newsletter

    © 2008-2018 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ