wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

BSNL Launches ‘Apps Store’; 80% Apps To Be Paid

State owned telco Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.(BSNL), has launched its own Application Store for its mobile subscribers(both 2G and 3G), across India. Dubbed as the BSNL Apps Store, it can be accessed through a link on the BSNL Live WAP Portal.
According to an internal circular and a draft press release from BSNL, the Apps Store has

been developed and is managed by Accenture and features upto 100,000 apps , across categories such as include Social Networking, Games (multi-player, 3D, action, sports, racing, and puzzles), entertainment, utilities, music, cricket, sports, finance, books, education, religion, business, productivity, lifestyle, Bollywood, health and fitness, navigation, weather, news, Photography, travel, and others.

The apps can be downloaded free, or for a one time charge or on monthly, weekly or daly subscription basis. The Apps Store will keep a record of previously downloaded or subscribed apps, allowing users to re-download apps that they’ve previously bought. As with most telco App Stores, billing would be integrated with the operator, and app purchases would not require a credit card. Data transfer charges will be as per the user’s data plan, in addition to the cost of the app. The release further mentions that 80% of the apps are paid, while the remaining 20% are free apps.

BSNL has also declared September as a free apps month, during which, it will offer the top-20 popular apps, free of charge.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

It appears (at least from the FAQ section on BSNL’s website), that the App Store will offer J2ME apps for feature phones. Another report on Telecom Talk says that the Apps store will offer 4,500 apps across 25 different categories including India specific religious and devotional apps, and will support 550+ devices.

Although BSNL is a late entrant in the Apps Store game, it is the fourth largest telco in terms of subscribers with more than 95 million subscribers, and has reach in smaller cities and towns. However, the apps might be priced lower compared to other telco Apps Stores, since BSNL would targets subscribers in tier 2 and 3 cities, as well.

We have not been able to access the Apps Store, since BSNL’s services are not available in Delhi. Do give us a heads-up, and tell us about your experience if you’ve tried it.

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

Do we have an enabling system for the National Data Governance Framework Policy (NDGFP) aiming to create an repository of non-personal data?

News

A viewpoint on why the regulation of cryptocurrencies and crypto exchnages under 2019's E-Commerce Rules puts it in a 'grey area'

News

India's IT Rules mandate a GAC to address user 'grievances' , but is re-instatement of content removed by a platform a power it should...

News

There is a need for reconceptualizing personal, non-personal data and the concept of privacy itself for regulators to effectively protect data

News

Existing consumer protection regulations are not sufficient to cover the extent of protection that a crypto-investor would require.

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ