According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India witnessed a growth of 1.64% in its broadband connection base taking the total number of broadband connections to 12.32 million in June 2011 from 12.12 million in May. The mobile connection base increased to 851.70 Million in June as compared to 840.28 Million in May, an increase of 1.36%. However, the active mobile connection base is 69.83% of total, at 594.73 million connections. The shocker: only 57.37% of the total reported 36.11 million mobile connections in Mumbai were active during the month.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For June 2011:
– Bharti Airtel added 2.12 million connections, taking its connection base to 169.19 million.
– RCom added 2.1 million connections, taking its connection base to 143.27 million.
– Vodafone added 2.1 million connections, taking its connection base to 141.5 million.
– Idea Cellular added 1.36 million connections, taking its connection base to 95.1 million.
– Uninor added 943,924 million connections.
Active User Base of Telecom Operators
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 594.77 million active connection in the month of June.
– Idea has 92.48% of its connections active- the maximum among all the operators.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 88.77%, followed by Vodafone at 80.82%.
– Etisalat, MTNL, Videocon, and Loop Telecom are at the bottom in terms of the number of active subscribers.
– 2 circles added over 1 million connections: Bihar, Tamil Nadu.In the previous months, typically 4 circles had added over a million connections each.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 72,763,544 connections. UP (East) is second with 67,574,862 and Maharashtra is third, with 64,564,169 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 19.86%, Reliance is at 16.82%,Vodafone at 16.62%,Idea at 11.17% and BSNL is at 11.00%.
– Companies like HFCL and Etisalat hold a mere 0.16% and 0.16% of the market share respectively.
* New Telcos: Datacom/Videocon, Loop Telecom, MTS/Sistema, Swan Telecom/Etisalat, S Tel, Uninor
– May 2011: India has 12.12M Broadband Connections; 69.99% Of 840.28M Mobile Are Active
– April 2011: India has 12.01M Broadband Connections; 70.53% Of 826.93M Mobile Are Active
– March 2011: India Has 11.87M Broadband Connections; 811.58M Mobile With 70.72% Active
– 6.42 Million Requests for Mobile Number Portability in March 2011 In India