– By virtue of the Spectrum Act, the Department of Telecom (DoT) will be granted the authority to take back spectrum from telecom operators who are not utilizing it. DoT aims to make operators accountable for efficient usage of airwaves. The proposed Act will also enlist the rules for spectrum re-farming and relocation from existing users. At present, telcos can keep the spectrum with themselves as long as they meet the stipulated licensing conditions. Read more at The Hindu Business Line.
– Nokia, along with Hungama.com, a digital content provider is set to introduce a mobile application that will bring music concerts to mobile devices. The application is likely to be named Nokia Smart Night and would be available for free on the Nokia app store for Symbian^3 and S60 platforms. Read more at Afaqs.
– Union Bank of India has partnered with ElectraCard Services to launch ecommerce services for its customers. The company has set up an electronic internet payment gateway with its solution named electraECOMM. The bank has also implemented electraSECURE, a solution that will enable online transactions. Read the Press Release.
– Indian consumers can test the authenticity of medicines by sending an SMS to PharmaSecure’s Unique ID Mobile Verification (UIMV). Earlier, Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) had made it mandatory for medicines that are exported from India to have barcodes rendering unique product identification code, unique serial number, batch number and expiry date w.e.f July 1, 2011. The deadline on the mandate has been extended to July 2012. Read the Press Release.
– MTS has launched High Speed Data (HSD) connectivity in Delhi- Jaipur stretch of National Highway- 8. The company intends to roll out HSD connectivity on other inter-state highways across the country. Read the Press Release.