According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India witnessed a growth of 0.92% in its broadband connection base taking the total number of broadband connections to 12.12 million in May 2011 from 12.01 million in April. The mobile connection base increased to 840.28 Million in May as compared to 826.93 Million in April, an increase of 1.61%.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For May 2011:
– RCom added 2.50 million connections, taking its connection base to 141.16 million.
– Bharti Airtel added 2.45 million connections, taking its connection base to 167.06 million.
– Vodafone added 2.44 million connections, taking its connection base to 139.42 million.
– Idea Cellular added 1.80 million connections
– Aircel added 1.11 million connections.
Active User Base
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
Circle Wise Wireless Data:
Among the metro cities, Delhi with a 1.87% change (746,320 connections) in total wireless connection base, added the maximum number of wireless connections for the month of May. Mumbai added 562,672.
– 4 circles added over 1 million connections: Bihar, U.P(E), U.P(W) and West Bengal.In the previous months, typically 8 circles had added over a million connections each.
– Tamil Nadu has the most number of connections, with 71,652,214 connections. UP (East) is second with 66,743,941 and Maharashtra is third, with 63,717,900 connections.
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 19.88%, Reliance is at 16.80%,Vodafone at 16.59%, and BSNL is at 11.05%.
– Companies like HFCL and Etisalat hold a mere 0.17% and 0.15% of the market share respectively.
* New Telcos: Datacom/Videocon, Loop Telecom, MTS/Sistema, Swan Telecom/Etisalat, S Tel, Uninor
– April 2011: India has 12.01M Broadband Connections; 70.53% Of 826.93M Mobile Are Active
– March 2011: India Has 11.87M Broadband Connections; 811.58M Mobile With 70.72% Active
– 6.42 Million Requests for Mobile Number Portability in March 2011 In India