The Cellular Operators Association of India (which includes most of India’s GSM telecom operators) has reported an increase of 8.58 million GSM connections in June 2011, up 1.45% for the month. Note that no information has been provided about the active users and multi sim users, and we’ll probably get that information once the telecom regulator TRAI releases data. The number of active users will significant impact the leaderboard, and from what we’ve noticed, Airtel and Idea Cellular have the highest percentage of active users each month (hovering around the 90% mark). GSM operator and circle-wise data (excluding Reliance and Tata):
– Bharti Airtel, added 2.12 million in June; its connection base is now 169.18 million.
– Vodafone, added 2.09 million connection its base is 141.51 million.
– Idea, added 1.35 million connection its base is 95.10 million.
– Aircel, added 0.91 million connection its base is 57.98 million.
Nikhil adds: As as aside, I was one of the 1597 users who took an MTNL connection in June.
– Among metro circles, Delhi added 323,921 GSM connections, with Mumbai adding 276,506 GSM connections and Chennai adding 110,100 connections. Total number of connections in Kolkata declined by 17,752.
Download: GSM Data from COAI (.xls file)
– May 2011: India Added over 9.53 Million GSM Connections
– April 2011: India Added over 11.10 Million GSM Connections
– March 2011:India Added Over 14.49M GSM Connections
– Feb 2011: India Added Over 14.69M GSM Connections
– Jan 2011: India Added Over 13M GSM Connections