According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India witnessed a growth of 1.17% in its broadband connection base taking the total number of broadband connections to 12.01 million in April 2011 from 11.87 million in March. The mobile connection base increased to 826.93 Million in April as compared to 811.59 Million in March, an increase of 1.89%.
In terms of net additions, 9.37 million connections were added in urban India whereas rural India added 5.97 million connections. Urban Teledensity is at 152.41 % , accounting for 66.20% of the connection base while rural teledensity is at 33.44%, accounting for 33.80% of the connection base.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard for April 2011:
– Reliance added a total of 2.9 million connections which is maximum among all the operators taking its total customer base to 138.65 million.
– MTNL, operational in Delhi and Mumbai registered net additions of 367 connections.
– Bharti Airtel leads among the telcos, with a total connection base of 164.61 million.
– Etisalat has a connection base of 1.2 million- the lowest among all the operators.
Active Connection Base:
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and excludes the CDMA VLR data for BSNL, which the telecom operator has not provided. Some stats:
– There were 583.22 million active connection in the month of April.
– Idea has 92.92% of connections active- the maximum among all the operators and Airtel has an active connection base of 89.51% .
– For Telcos like HFCL, Loop, Tata, S-Tel only 40-50% of their connections were active.
Circle Wise Wireless Data:
Among the metro cities, Delhi with a 2.93% change added 1,139,257 connections in total wireless connection base for the month of April.Mumbai added 749,258 connection in April.
– 8 circles added over 1 million connections: Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Delhi, Gujarat, Maharashtra,Tamil Nadu,U.P(E) andU.P(W). In the previous months, typically 10 circles have added over a million connections each.
-UP (East) added 1.42 million connections for the month of April- maximum among all the circles.
– Tamil Nadu has the maximum number of connections- 70.89 million; UP(East) is in second position with 65.10 million connections .
– Kolkata and Jammu & Kashmir registered a reduction in connections: 0.2 million connections down in Kolkata, 124,615 in Jammu & Kashmir.
– Bharti Airtel holds the majority market share with 19.91%, Reliance 16.77%, Vodafone 16.56%, BSNL 11.53%.
– HFCL and Etisalat hold market share of 0.18% and 0.15% respectively.
*- New Telcos: Datacom/Videocon, Loop Telecom, MTS/Sistema, Swan Telecom/Etisalat, S Tel, Uninor