CyberMedia, a specialty media company which owns online properties including PCQuest, DQIndia, Voice&Data, CIOL, DQChannels, DQWeek, has reported a net profit of Rs 40.3 lakh for the full ending 31st March 2011 (FY11), compared with the Rs 2.81 crore loss it had reported during the last fiscal. This change has been largely due to a reduction in expenditure by the company, since net sales actually went down year on year to Rs 92.8 crore, from Rs 100.11 crore the previous fiscal. Expenditure for the company reduced as follows:
– Cost of sales/operations/raw materials went down to Rs 40.88 crore from Rs 45.35 crore the previous fiscal.
– Purchase of traded goods reduced to Rs 3.09 crore from Rs 3.66 crore
– Employee cost went down to Rs 2.73 crore from Rs 3.17 crore.
Cybermedia’s expenses reduced 12.09% to Rs 89.72 crore from Rs 102.05 crore. Judging from the segment results, even though revenue from Cybermedia’s Media Services revenue declined 22.42%, it still reported a Profit before tax, interest income, interest expense and dividend from the segment of Rs 1.89 crore, compared to Rs 50 lakh the previous fiscal. The media revenue grew 10.3% to Rs 52.62 crore, and the Profit before tax, interest income, interest expense and dividend rose to Rs 2.46 crore.
While Cybermedia hasn’t disclosed any operational details, what is noticeable is the following:
– Cost Reduction: There’s been a reduction in costs, both in terms of employee cost and cost of sales (including print)
– Media vs Media Services: In terms of revenue, there’s been a switch between the media services and media business. For the last couple of years before this fiscal, Media Services was emerging as the key segment for Cybermedia. In FY11, the roles reversed – Media contributed higher revenues and more profit. More importantly, the media business turned around – reporting higher revenues, and compared to a loss last year, it reported a profit.
Also note that for much of this fiscal, the media services segment has included IDC research. In January, the two companies announced their separation. Cybermedia Research has been set up.
Cybermedia Online Amalgamation
Cybermedia Ltd, on May 5th 2011, announced the amalgamation of Cybermedia India Online Ltd into the parent company, with the allotment of 5,00,000 equity shares priced at Rs 10 each to shareholders of CyberMedia India Online Ltd. More here and here.