Google has announced the availability of bus routes from Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) and Ahmedabad Municipal Transport Services (AMTS) on Google maps’ transit information. Google has been gradually adding transit information for Indian cities, with local transport bodies and after this announcement, Google maps now cover bus and local train/Metro routes for Mumbai and Delhi, bus routes for Pune and Bangalore and local train/metro routes for Kolkata and Chennai. The maps are available on both desktop and mobile versions.
Since, Google had already made available Delhi Metro routes, it now allows users to find the best or the fastest way to travel between two places, indicating their preferred travel mode amongst bus and trains or a combination of both.
The route information, also lists bus details including its starting and end points, and frequency. Although, the accuracy of this information would depend on a lot of other ‘real world’ factors, such as traffic and other blockages, it is still a great move.
– We wonder if Google and DTC could work together to provide more detailed information, such as the availability and frequency of Air Conditioned buses, since DTC runs a huge fleet of AC buses.
– The Delhi Metro runs special feeder buses to and fro selected metro stations, it would be great if Google maps could include their availability and routes.
– We would love to see real time traffic information on driving directions and transit information, to get a better idea of transit time.
– Google Launches Public Transport Info For Mumbai On Maps
– Google Maps Get Pune & Chennai Transit Info
– Google Maps Gets Delhi Metro Transit Info; Buses The Real Test
– MapMyIndia Pilots Traffic Updates In India; Starts With Delhi