wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sprint Eyes Indian Market; JV With Persistent Systems

US based wireless provider Sprint Nextel is all set top enter the Indian market via a joint venture with Persistent Systems, an outsourced software development firm. The JV company will provide national long distance, international long distance, Internet services and managed network services in India.

Although, the amount being invested in JV has not been disclosed.Sprint, through its international holding company, will have a 74 percent stake in the JV, staying within limits of the permitted FDI limit. Persistent will own the remaining 26 percent equity in the JV. Sprint’s investment in the company is subject to the approval of the Indian Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) and the company will commence operations after regualtory approvals are received.

Sprint Nextel is the third largest American telecom operator, with 49.9 million customers at the end of 2010, and the first one to start WiMax based 4G wireless services. It runs CDMA and iDen based mobile networks and owns prepaid brands like Virgin Mobile USA, Boost and Assurance. It is also a long distance provider and a global internet carrier comprising a major part of the internet backbone.

Sprint generated free cash flow of $2.5 billion for 2010, consolidated net operating revenues of $32.6 billion, and an operating loss of $595 million, a 57% improvement compared to 2009.

Persistent develops solutions for customers in technology, telecommunication, life science, healthcare, banking, and consumer products sectors across North America, Europe, and Asia. It also has a telecom business unit that focuses mainly on enterprise services like IP communications, OSS/BSS and mobility. It looks like, Persistent is an enabler for Sprint’s entry into the Indian market. Unless the course it is detracted by the hurdles of regulatory framework.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

Due to the scale of regulatory and technical challenges, transparency reporting under the IT Rules has gotten off to a rocky start.

News

Here are possible reasons why Indians are not generating significant IAP revenues despite our download share crossing 30%.

News

This article addresses the legal and practical ambiguities in understanding the complex crypto ecosystem in India.

News

It is widely argued that the PDP Bill report seeks to discard the intermediary status of social media platforms but that may not be...

News

Looking at the definition of health data, it is difficult to verify whether health IDs are covered by the Bill.

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ