The Cellular Operators Association of India (which includes most of India’s GSM telecom operators) has reported an increase of 17.07 million GSM connections in the country for the month of December 2010, up 3.35% for the month. Then again, we don’t know exactly how many connections are active or multi-SIM. Telecom operator and circle-wise data (with inaccurate figures for RCOM and Tata Teleservices removed):
– BSNL topped the charts, adding 3.19 million in December; its connection base is now 81.38 million.
– Bharti Airtel,added 3.10 million new connections in December, taking its total connection base to 152.49 million.
– Vodafone added 3.09 million in december, and its connection base stood at 124.25 million at the end month.
– Idea,Uninor added over 2 million connections.
– Aircel added over a million connections.
– Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, UP(E), West Bengal, Bihar added over a million connections.
– Among metro circles, Delhi added 637,606 GSM connections, with Kolkata adding 526,312 GSM connections.
Download: GSM Data from COAI (.xls file)