Astrology portal GaneshaSpeaks.com has launched Astrology.fm, an online radio station with 24 hour astrology related programming. The site targets consumers online and on the mobile Internet, with astrology related shows like Daily Darpan, Divine Darshan, Astro Advise, Sacred Numbers, Wellness, Health and Healing, Cosmic Call, among others. Speaking with MediaNama, a GaneshaSpeaks executive said that the shows are pre-recorded, and not live, and there’s a team of 10-12 people managing Astrology.fm. They haven’t looked at the monetization opportunities yet, but these new features are intended to increase visibility. They have content from GaneshaSpeaks.com, and also run a call center for astrology consultation services. The Astrology team that works with GaneshaSpeaks, dedicates some time for Astrology.fm. Siddhivinayak Astrology Services, the company that owns GaneshaSpeaks, also has a mobile short code 55181 across Vodafone, Idea, Reliance, Uninor and MTS, for astrological guidance.
Our Take: Monetizing Astrology.fm
The target market for such astrology sites is usually NRIs, and GaneshaSpeaks claims thatit gets 1 million visitors a month, and claims a market share of about “45% of the organised segment”.
Astrology.fm, apart from radio-around-the-clock, offers free Q&A to users through a form. This may be a means of expanding the database for GaneshaSpeaks. Additionally:
– The leads generated from Astrology.fm could perhaps be used to up-sell some of the Astrology services already available, including the call center based consultation, specialized reports and predictions, as well as suggested cures.
– The Astrology.fm channel currently has advertising breaks where shows are being promoted, but like in case of religious channels on Indian Television, advertising breaks could be used to promote related products.
– Airtel Launches “Live Aarti” On Mobile
– Astrology Futures: NDTV-Astrolife; ExpressIndia-GaneshaSpeaks; Indiatimes Astrospeak
– Astrolife.com Bought From People Group By Business Head Raj Rao