A blockbuster months of sorts for the GSM Mobile operators, which saw additions of 13.50 million GSM connection in India, up 2.99% for the month. According to data released by COAI, which represents most of India’s GSM operators, the GSM connection base for India is at least 465.3 million. This data does not include Tata Docomo and Reliance Communications’ GSM operations.
– This might be well termed a secular rally: four telecom operators – Airtel, BSNL, Vodafone and Uninor added over 2 million connections, with Idea Cellular almost there with 1.98 million connections.
– Vodafone has registered the highest increase in connections, with 2.3 million additions, a 2.07% increase in its base. Vodafone now has 113.7 million connections.
– This is Uninor’s best month so far, with 2.22 million connections added, a massive 32.3% increase in its connection base. It now has 9.09 million connections. What clicked?
– Despite BSNL adding 2.29 million connections – one of its best months in recent times – Idea Cellular maintained its lead over BSNL.
– Videocon crossed the 3 million connection mark, with 3.66 million.
– Loop mobile added only 20,883 connections, and continues to lag its peers. Even MTNL, usually the worst performing telecom operator (in terms of addition of connections) added more connections.
– Gujarat added the maximum GSM connections during the month, and now has 28.15 million GSM connections.
– Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and UP (East) added over a million GSM connections each.
– Haryana crossed its 10 million mark in number of total connections with an addition of 306,168 new GSM connections, up 3.08% and is now at 10.25 million total GSM connections.
– Jammu & Kashmir lost 62,898 connections during the month. There are now 4.19 million mobile connections in the troubled state. This is the second consecutive month of decline in connections or the state, though last month was much worse, with a decline of 899,918 GSM connections.
– Among metro circles, Delhi still has the most GSM connections at 19.39 million with Mumbai running in at second with 18.04 million.