RCOM is certainly in the partnership mode. Days after inking a multi-platform deal with Universal Music, RCOM has tied up with Nokia to offer Ovi Life Tools, Ovi Music, and promote mobile Internet packages across Nokia GPRS phones. The deal:
Ovi Life Tools
RCOM will make Ovi Life Tools available across reural and semi-urban segments. Subscription service will be priced at Rs. 60 per month for agricultural service, and Rs. 30/month for education and entertainment. The pay-per-use will be priced at Rs. 3 per request. Nokia had previously tied up with Tata Docomo to power its Rural VAS, with Ovi Life Tools included in the sim tool kit. Given that Nokia is fast losing marketshare in India, it’s pushing these services as an additional revenue source, and in case of Ovi Music, using the service to sell the handsets.
RCOM GSM customers will be allowed to download up to 12 GB of music (around 2400 songs) using Nokia’s Ovi Music Unlimited (OMU) enabled phones – 5530, 5800, X6 16GB and 5325. Consumers buying these handsets can also buy Reliance Netconnect Broadband+ USB datacards for a lower price. Note that RCOM recently inked a deal with Universal Music for music content across platforms.
RCOm is also offering a mobile data bundle of 1.2GB on Nokia GPRS enabled handsets (other than the OMU handsets), as well as 1800 minutes free on-net minutes. This offer has a validity of six months.
So, while one may view this as a co-promotion deal, it does appear that the carrier in India now isn’t being handset agnostic. We’ve already raised the flag on carriers not being website agnostic.
– RCOM Inks Exclusive Deal With Universal Music For GSM, CDMA, 3G & Mobile Broadband
– Why Has Nokia Limited Listings Service To S40 Only?
– Nokia Enters The Group SMS Segment With ‘We Meet’
– Nokia Betting On Meego For US, N8 For The World; Plans To Ship Over 50 Million Symbian 3 Devices
– Nokia Sales Flat At EUR 10 Bn, Operating Profit Down 15%; Device Volumes Up 8%
– Nokia Ovi Life Tools To Power Rural VAS For Tata DoCoMo; STK
– Updated: NAVTEQ Launches Mobile Solutions In India; Zee Studios Campaign