Government owned entities Mahanager Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) and Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd. (TCIL) will be paid at least Rs. 235.55 crore for digital services and equipment provided at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, according to a statement filed in the Lok Sabha: MTNL will be paid Rs. 150 crore to set up the Games Data Network (GDN) for Games Applications, Voice & Multimedia, Security Data Network (SDN) for CCTV/Video Surveillance, and Broadcast Network (BN) for High Definition Broadcast. It will receive Rs. 182 crore from Ministry of Sports on a “wet lease” basis, Rs. 30 crore from Ministry of Home Affairs for uses of security data network and Rs. 73 crore from Organising Committee for using data and various other services. MTNL is going to provide communication facilities in 48 sites in the city.
Some rates being charged by MTNL, via this rate card:
– $30 for a SIM card (with $20 balance), GSM handset at $52.
– $643 for an ADSL broadband connection at 2mbps download, 512kbps upload speed. Single port ADSL modem at $42
– $125 for Wireless Internet Service (144kbps) with unlimited usage. (ED: what a rip-off: not even MTNL 3G at the games? what good is unlimited use at 144kbps?)
Additionally, there are two ISDN connections available – $700 for basic rate, and $4550 for Primary rate. Rates have not been specified yet.
MTNL reported revenues of Rs. 971.6 crore for the quarter ending June 30th 2010, and a net loss of Rs. 450.7 crore.
Additionally, TCIL has been awarded following projects to be executed for CWG on cost plus basis:
1. Supply, installation, Testing & Commissioning of Complete Voice over IP (VoIP) Telephony Solution at Games Head Quarter (NDCC Building)- (Project Estimate Value Rs. 1.48 crore).
2. Supply & Operational Support for Network Equipment (estimated Rs. 34.29 crore)
3. Supply of Computer Hardware (estimated Rs. 6.75 Crore)
4. Supply, Installation, Testing & commissioning of Outdoor Data Cabinets (estimated Rs. 7.6 crore)
5. Cable Access TV Services (estimated Rs. 1.38 crore)
6. Supply, Installation & Commissioning of Office Automation Equipment (estimated Rs. 17.61 crore)
7. Supply, Installation & Commissioning of Audio Visual Equipment (estimated Rs. 5.19 crore)
8. Passive Network Cabling at different venues and Stadiums (estimated Rs. 11.25 crore)
The cost to the user appears to be significantly higher than normal, though: According to this rate card published at the CWG website.