MapmyIndia has announced the launch of it’s MapmyIndia Maps Version 5.0, adding house addresses for the Delhi-NCR region and Chandigarh; it plans to add house level detail for cities in India. What this update allows, is for users looking for directions to easily find the location.
The update also includes a directory of 3 million points of interest across 52 categories (offices, restaurants, clubs, apartments, hotels, petrol pumps, ATMs etc.), street level maps for over 809 cities of India, as well as All India coverage connecting 76,000 towns and villages. The local business information integrated with maps allows users to call certain locations, like restaurants.
From a product perspective, two key changes:
– The introduction of predictive text search and auto-correct for spelling mistakes
– The introduction of voice guidance in 8 Indian languages – Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Punjabi, Tamil and Telugu, besides English. They plan to add voice guidance in Marathi and others languages subsequently.
Over the past few years, MapMyIndia has aggressively expanded its distribution:
– Devices: MapmyIndia Maps come preloaded in in devices such as Motorola Milestone, Backflip, and Milestone XT720, Micromax W900, OlivePad. Ford Endeavor also offers in-dash navigation powered by MapmyIndia Maps.
– Showrooms & Accessory Shops: MapMyIndia is distributing its GPS Navigation devices, the MapmyIndia Navigator, in car showrooms of Toyota, General Motors, Ford, Mahindra, Fiat, Maruti and Tata Motors across India, besides car accessory shops in over 50 cities.
– Stores: It also retails in electronics and lifestyle stores such as Croma, Jumbo, Landmark and Gizmos, with Redington as its national distributor for the electronics and lifestyle channel.
A couple of months ago, MapMyIndia also launched its call-in service for directions.