Israel based mobile content distribution company Content Bunny has inked a 2 year exclusive deal with Universal Music for content over Interactive Voice Response (IVR) in India. Speaking with MediaNama, Karan Anand, Business Head mVAS (APAC) for Content Bunny said that the rights to music on demand content have been acquired for over 28,000 albums, growing at 50-80 tracks per month, for the Indian territory. In a month or a month and a half, the company will launch a Mobile Radio service with English music from Universal, probably priced on par with market rates for Mobile , at Rs 10 per week, Rs. 20 for a fortnight and Rs. 30 per month. Users will be able to select songs on the basis of genre or singer/band. Content Bunny is in talks with most telecom operators, Anand adds.
Content Bunny is an Israel based content aggregator which offers Games, Music and Applications; its website lists Tata Indicom, Vodafone, Reliance Communications, IMI Mobile*, IGFun, Tigo, Mobitel, Celtel and Airtel as partners.
But is there likely to be a demand for English Music on Mobile Radio? We were under the impression that Mobile Radio primarily works in small towns where there is limited/no FM Radio.
Anand believes that there will be demand in markets like the North East. “English music has 3-5% of music marketshare in India, because there is greater awareness of Bollywood content. Since no operator has really tried their hand at an English IVR, this is a new phenomenon. Even if we can get 1% of the mobile subscriber base of 600 million, it will be sufficient for everyone. English music does well in terms of CRBT, and it really demends on how we spread awareness of the product.” Note that Hungama Digital Media has rights to content from EMI in India.
*Disclosure: IMI Mobile is a MediaNama sponsor
Israel Telecom Companies In India:
– Israeli Telecom Companies Seek Carrier Deals In India
– Israeli Companies Eye Indian VAS Market; IMA Ties Up With Shemaroo
– Times Group Mobility Head Nandan Srinath On Mirchi Mobile: Pricing, Analytics, Advertising
– OnMobile Adds Playlists To Mobile Music Streaming With M-Radio Gold
– OnMobile And BIG FM To Provide Mobile Radio In IVR; Still Going Strong?
– International Music Videos On Hungama; Why Download? EMI
– Nokia’s Jasmeet Gandhi On Music Store, Competition & The Delay
– Music Search Site Phulki Acquired By Saavn? On Smashits, Raaga & Saavn’s Network