wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

C Sivasankaran To Buy 51% Stake In S Tel

stellogoNRI businessman and investor C Sivasankaran of Sterling Infotech Group is eying S Tel and may acquire 51% stake in the firm, The Economic Times reports. The deal is valued at Rs. 11.5 billion and will be bought off a private equity owner of the company. S Tel is one of the new telcos which has licenses for six circles and has not rolled out yet. It was awarded licences to launch cellular services in Bihar, Orissa, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Assam and the Northeast in January 2008.

Ownership

In January, Batelco Millenium India Company, a venture by Bahrain Telecom Company (Batelco) and Dubai based Millennium Private Equity, paid $225 million for a 49%  stake in S Tel. The original owners of S Tel, two private equity firms Mauritius-based Telecom Investments and Chennai based Sky City Foundations held the rest 51%. Sky City is reportedly run by computer businessmen Santhosh Robert and Padmavathy Suresh who are listed as directors along with an S Natarajan.

Telecom Talk reported that Sahara Group bought 11.5% stake in S Tel from the two PE firms in May, but no official mention is available on S-Tel’s site. It could be that this was an earlier indirect acquisition by Sivasankaran – Siva Ventures Ltd, the flagship company of  SIG, invested $26.66 million in media conglomerate Sahara One Media & Entertainment in which it now holds 14.98% stake.

Sivasankaran; Why Now?

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

C Sivasankaran is known for his ability to pick up a young firm, push it to success and sell when its valuation is at its peak for huge profits. Some of his sales are: Aircel, a telco bought from RPG Group and sold to Maxis Telecom and Apollo Hospital’s Reddy family for $1.08 billion; cafe chain Barista to Lavazza and ISP Dishnet DSL to VSNL for Rs. 270 crore.

Siva’s non-compete agreement with Maxis during the Aircel acquisition barred him from buying more than 10% stake in any other telco for a period of three years; the agreement expired this March. He is back in the telecom scene and rumours cropped up recently that he was looking to invest in another new telco – Unitech Wireless, but company officials denied it.

Sivasankaran has reputedly placed his son S Saravana on S Tel’s board. S Tel has shifted its headquarters from Chennai to Gurgaon. Its equity has grown seven times – from Rs. 18 crore to Rs. 138 crore –  since it applied for licenses, according to ToI, and had to supply details of the change in its equity structure to the telecom regulator TRAI. S Tel has received a good amount of financial backing – it first  secured Rs 10,000 crore in 2008, then $225 million from Batelco, and now Sivasankaran’s Rs. 1,150 crore.

Related

Batelco Picks Up 49% In S Tel For $225M; S Tel Offers Govt $2.82B For 16 More Circles

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

http://www.linkedin.com/in/preethij

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.

News

In this excerpt from the book, the authors focus on personal data and autocracies. One in particular – Russia.  Autocracies always prioritize information control...

News

By Jai Vipra, Senior Resident Fellow at Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy The use of new technology, including facial recognition technology (FRT) by police...

News

By Stella Joseph, Prakhil Mishra, and Yash Desai The Government of India circulated proposed amendments to the Consumer Protection (E-Commerce) Rules, 2020 (“E-Commerce Rules”) which...

News

By Rahul Rai and Shruti Aji Murali A little less than a year since their release, the Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020 is being amended....

You May Also Like

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ