wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Q409: Mukta Arts Reports FY09 Profit At Rs. 44M; Q4 Loss

logo-mukta-artsThe 2008-09 fiscal wasn’t a particularly good one for film studio Mukta Arts, as the company founded by director Subhash Ghai reported a 66% decline in profitability from Rs. 130 million in FY08 to Rs. Rs. 44 million in FY09.

In April, Mukta Arts had announced that CEO Ravi Gupta was stepping down, following the expiry of his five year contract, though he remains involved as an advisor to the company.

Details: Financials

This decline in profitability is despite a 50% increase in net sales from Rs. 1.107 billion in FY08 to Rs. 1.656 billion in FY09. Earnings per share for the year dropped 66% to Rs. 1.94. 

q409-mukta-arts-fy09

Costs And Revenues Tend To Be Lumpy

Mukta Arts witnessed a 67% increase in cost of production, distribution and worldwide rights software for the year, particularly in Q3 when costs skyrocketed to Rs. 784 million. Bear in mind that the film business shouldn’t be judged quarter on quarter due to a lumpiness in production costs:

q409-mukta-arts-costs

Revenues tend to be lumpy too: last quarter, the company had reported a net profit of Rs. 58 million, with net sales amounting to Rs. 898 million, due to the release of the film Yuvraaj. Net sales declined this quarter to Rs. 251 million, with a net loss of Rs. 18 million.

Also see: Mukta Arts, Net Profit vs Net Sales: FY09 vs FY08 and Quarterwise

What About Coruscant?

During the year, Mukta Arts bought a controlling 51% stake in struggling mobile content company Coruscant Tec, and had the option of buying the remaining 49%; payouts were dependent on targets set. Coruscant was acquired with the mandate of monetizing Mukta Arts’ content on the mobile, and we hope to see some inputs on mobile revenues in Mukta Arts’ annual report. Nothing in the Q4 filing, though.

Exits Red Carpet Films: In April, Mukta Arts announced that the company had sold its entire equity in Red Carpet Films Ltd to its original promoter, effective from March 25, 2009.

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

By Rahul Rai and Shruti Aji Murali A little less than a year since their release, the Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020 is being amended....

News

By Anand Venkatanarayanan                         There has been enough commentary about the Indian IT...

News

By Rahul Rai and Shruti Aji Murali The Indian antitrust regulator, the Competition Commission of India (CCI) has a little more than a decade...

News

By Stella Joseph, Prakhil Mishra, and Surabhi Prabhudesai The recent difference of opinions between the Government and Twitter brings to fore the increasing scrutiny...

News

This article is being posted here courtesy of The Wire, where it was originally published on June 17.  By Saksham Singh The St Petersburg paradox,...

You May Also Like

News

Info Edge (India) Limited, the parent company of subsidiaries such as Naukri.com and Jeevan Saathi, on Monday announced its results for the fourth quarter...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ