wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Nahata Says He Is Not Planning To Exit Datacom

Datacom’s future is looking dark with internal disputes over its management still continuing, after two years of its establishment. Mahendra Nahata, who owns a 36% stake in Datacom Solutions, has denied a story that appeared in ET that he is selling his stake and exiting the company, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The Economic Times story claimed Nahata would sell his stake in Datacom to the founders of Videocon Industries Ltd. for Rs 12 -13 billion ($234.8 million). Also Nahata’s HFCL Infotel operations in Punjab would be merged with Datacom and its Rs 400 crore debt transferred on to the books of Datacom. Nahata’s 36% stake sell would allow the Dhoots, who owns the remaining 64% stake, to bring in a strategic partner and much needed cash.

Investor Interest

Over the past year, many foreign investors have shown interest but perhaps the public standoff between the two promoters may have scared them away. Investors who have been reported to be in communication with Datacom include:

— Qatar Tele
— Dubai-based Etisalat 
— Bahrain Telecommunications Company (Batelco)
— Kuwait’s Zain
— Turkish telecom major Turkcell
— Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim‘s America Movil, and
— France Telecom

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

This may be the undoing of the operator if investors lose confidence and top rung managers exit in frustration over its neglected growth. Meanwhile its start up contemporary Unitech has received Rs 30.5 billion in the first phase of funding from Telenor. Datacom has spectrum and is ready to roll out in 22 circles but does the operator have the finances to weather the downturn alone? Remember that existing operators have struggled with expensive rollouts in states like Chhatisgarh, Jammu & Kashmir, among others.

The Datacom Timeline*:

November, 2007: Jumbo Techno Solutions held 90% stake in Datacom & 10% with Oswal Fertilizers and Chemicals Ltd, which exited when Videocon bought 64% stake.

June 2008: Legal battles begin. Nahata alleged that the Dhoots were reneging on the commitment made in the investment agreement and was dissatisfied with their running of the firm. Caveat filed against Nahata’s Jumbo Techno Services by Videocon. The operator still hoped to roll out services on August 15.

August 2008: Stake selling talks fail – Dhoot was ready to offer Nahata Rs 1,360 crore, but Nahata has asked for Rs 2,116 crore. Roll out plans get delayed.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

August 2008: Nahata alleges that the Videocon group has violated banking and company law norms by passing off a Rs 1,000-crore loan from SBI as its own contribution to Datacom’s equity. Roll out postponed to December 2008.

Oct 2008: Launch postponed to May 2009, CEO Ravi Sharma resigns. Raj Kumar Dhoot takes over, Nahata rebels against the posting.

*- based on news reports


Datacom In Talks With Four Foreign Telecom Cos For Investment; Spectrum For New Telcos
New Telco Roundup: Selling Stake, Internal Battles, Poaching

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By


MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.



The US and other countries' retreat from a laissez-faire approach to regulating markets presents India with a rare opportunity.


When news that Walmart would soon accept cryptocurrency turned out to be fake, it also became a teachable moment.


The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.


In this excerpt from the book, the authors focus on personal data and autocracies. One in particular – Russia.  Autocracies always prioritize information control...


By Jai Vipra, Senior Resident Fellow at Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy The use of new technology, including facial recognition technology (FRT) by police...

You May Also Like


135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...


Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...


By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...


Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ