Date: 12th to 16th January 2008
Segments: Editors Picks, Your Picks,
Among the most significant developments in the digital business over the past year was issued last week – the recommendation of the creation of an Other Service Provider for Mobile Value Added Services, and the creation of a Common Short Codes Plan.
While we’ve discussed the implications of this move for the Mobile VAS business here and here, we do believe that this is of importance to Internet companies as well. The Internet in India suffers from the lack of a user base, and with the opening of pipes to mobile web in the last year, we believe that off-deck services are going to proliferate – if not for just tapping a larger mobile user base, then for increasing the usage of their websites. There are usability issues with the mobile device, but it’s only a matter of time before this is addressed. The key development here is that content and services are being separated from carriage by setting up the OSP registration, and a clear role is being defined for the mobile operators. Transparency is being mandated and companies – whether Internet or Mobile – have the freedom to operate independently.
Operators are not allowed to block websites and short codes, and it is recommended that the government set up a Common Short Codes system for indepedent VAS services. Hence, two weapons less in their armory.
There isn’t adequate clarity on issues of dispute resolution, and that could mean that these recommendations don’t amount to anything. Nevertheless, it is a step in the right direction; regulation is an iterative process.
Our pick for the week:
– Interview with Vijay Shekhar Sharma, MD, One97 Communications: Part 1, Part 2
– $23M For One97 Communications, IndiaMART And GTT From Intel Capital
– Airtel Launches Sri Lanka Operations
– Hungama Gets New Company Name, New Logo…IPO?
– Not Surprisingly, India Defers 3G Auction Again: No Timeline Specified Yet
– WiFi In Trains Piloted On Shatabdi Express; Music Downloads, Movies On Demand?
– Mauj Launches Mahabharata Games; How Prepared Are They For The Open Web?
– Sify To Launch Push Mail & Calendar & Contact Services
— Prashant Mehta joins Komli Media as Chief Operating Officer from Yahoo Inc, where he was VP & Head of Monetization for Yahoo!’s Emerging Markets Group
— Ramswaroop Gopalan has joined Rediffusion Y&R as National Business Head, Digital Services. He was previously Head of Delivery at Tangerine Digital Entertainment
To post jobs at MediaNama, contact email@example.com